Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

XP Wont boot or repair with xp disc

This is a discussion on XP Wont boot or repair with xp disc within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys. Used this site before to help with issues before...but I have really done something this time :( Before

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey guys. Used this site before to help with issues before...but I have really done something this time :(

Before I tell you the problem il give you the spec, had a read at the rules before posting sticky...

XP - latest version I presume as it hasn't updated in the last week or two
Desktop - Custom build that has worked no problem at all since I got it up and running

The problem...
This first started when I had a problem with malware (i think) so I came on here and read about a program called 'malware bytes' this worked a treat and have not had a problem since. Although before I came onto this site I tried the usual safe mode, system restore...so on, then I went for the Windows SP3 disc which I used to build my pc with. Upon inserting the disc I tried a variety of things including trying to repair and REINSTALL. Now realising I didn't want to lose everything I canceled it (turn off the system), and then done the whole 'malware bytes' program.
So that ended there it was fixed as far as I was concerned...here's the bit that led to the problem, anytime I booted up the machine it gave me the choice to go into normal Windows and access all my files as per usual or finish completing the installation from the Windows disc...with a countdown of 5 seconds or it automatically went into installation!

So after a few months of putting up with this I decided to do something about it as it is was getting increasingly annoying.
1st thought was to go into the installation instead of normal operation, it prompted to ask for the Windows xp disc and I put it in. Then the system started installing the setup I did not install another version of Windows, this took about 10minutes and was on blue screen with a yellow completion bar.
I at this point presumed this is how I could go about either DELETING the installation of another copy of windows or STOPPING the setup to install.
When this installation was complete it came up the windows xp installation screen (had a list of actions to be completed and ones done on the left) as if it was re installing windows :O
So that was quickly turned off and rebooted, as the idea of losing all my files is not something I want to happen at all.

Now when I boot up I have two options

Boot from cd - the xp disc

Boot from hard drive (C) - not knowing if it had two versions installed like a partition or not one full working copy atall

Boot from cd only allows me to access the installation of windows and it WILL NOT allow me to repair my C drive.
I followed this and it would not give me the option if repair :(
Tech Handbook - Bringing XP back from the brink, without losing everything

Boot from hard drive only gives the prompt screen of a message that says something like
Windows/system32 .....some file is missing
Again it says press 'r' at the first screen??

So after hours if reading searching and watching videos I am no where as I don't see this problem happening to anyone else. I believe my files are still on the hard drive atm, I just can't access them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't have the best knowledge of software when it comes to problems like this, also I don't want to lose any of my files. My guess is I will need to transfer my files to another hard drive and reinstall windows.

Done this from my phone, I do have another computer if that is required
Thanks a lot Kris8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
Registered Member

Hello, Kris8.

A few things first off:

1. You're not giving enough system info in order for people here to assist you. Can you please state: a. The cpu's make 'n model/Ghz; b. your motherboard make and model; c. The amount of ram; d. Your Graphics card's make and model; e. your monitor's make/mode......etc. f. make, model and capacity of your primary drive (C Drive); g. Any back-up drives, make/model, etc.

2. Do you have an AMD cpu and/or motherboard? If so, then DO. NOT. INSTALL. SERVICE PACK 3. EVER, ON AN AMD MOTHERBOARD AND/OR CPU. THE BUG FIXES DO NOT WORK! I know I'll probably get a different opinion from other people here about the sp3 thing, but I've done a bit of referencing and cross-referencing, and this is what I've found out (I'll give you the links for what I've found below):

Custom-Built AMD Athlon system. XP setup "Stop" error. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL - WinDrivers Computer Tech Support Forums

https://support.microsoft
.com/support/kb/articles/q165/8/63.asp

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-0a01ef95fc63/

=Based on a bit of research, most of the errors you're encountering are with SERVICE PACK 3 and, if you have one, an AMD CPU AND/OR MOTHERBOARD. Also I ran across another article or post, where someone else had a custom-build Via Systems motherboard, I hope I read that right. Sorry but i didn't get the link for that one. I do, however, have this informative and helpful link, should this apply to you:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-0a01ef95fc63/ (READ THIS ARTICLE)

Also, you mentioned that you used your sp3 disc to "build your pc with." UH-UH. DON'T. Sorry, but sp3 is one hunk of a useless windows upgrade. It only winds up causing problems. If you must, however, use sp3, then install Xp Pro with Service Pack 2 first. Then--and this part is very important: TURN OFF YOUR ANTIVIRUS AND FIREWALL BEFORE INSTALLING SERVICE PACK 3. I know that your antivirus must be disabled and probably your firewall as well. Heck, you may even need to completely uninstall your antivirus, but I'm not certain about that. Why? Because, for some reason, an enabled antivirus and even the firewall prevent some parts of sp3 from properly installing.

Last but not least: You mentioned that you had a malware and/or virus issue which you have dealt with. Have you, really? I would check again.

Something else: It seems that based on what I've read, that persons with multi-processors have overclocking issues. This will eventually lead to your system's inability to boot because the multiprocessors are overheated. I don't know that to be a fact, but that's something else I've discovered via research and am now passing it on to you.

Well, that's it. That's all the info I can give you for now. Should I run across something else, I'll let you know. But since you do have another computer, I'm thinking it would be wise to use that one for now and do further research.

I'm certainly hoping I've helped you. In the meantime, I would recommend going into some other forums and/or topics related to your issue ON THIS SITE and even looking over older posts of other persons who had the same problem; just because it's an older post doesn't mean you cannot find your answer there.

~alpha~
Old 01-11-2011, 10:40 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris8 View Post
Windows/system32 .....some file is missing
Again it says press 'r' at the first screen??
The first thing you want to do is to backup your data using an Ubuntu Live CD you can copy your files to a Flash Drive. After that,
Boot from the XP CD and get to the Recovery Console Here type chkdsk /R and hit enter. The Check Disk utility will try and fix any errors.
It would be most helpful if you could tell us what system32 file is missing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2011, 10:59 AM   #4
Registered Member

Firstly thanks alpha1961 & spunk.funk lol

Il elaborate more on my spec...
Intel e8400 dual core
Asus p5q motherboard
360gb seagate hard drive
Coolermaster 600w green power
2gb ocz gaming ram
Nvidea 9600gt xpertvision
And a LG Dvd drive think that's everything

Well reading everyone comments so far I think I should tell you more about the situation the pc is in.
1. The pc will not go into windows ie. Can't get the loading screen, home screen, desktop whatever you want to call it.
2. I'm fairly confidant this is not malware as the pc worked no problem minutes before I tried to fix it. It's either got to be a file missing or a conflict between systems.
3. The files that says it is missing is a black scree with the words file missing windows/system32 I will get the full location of the file, I'm sure its a common message as I have had it before.

Spun.funk I will try this, although can you access the recovery console from the startup screens? As said above I cannot get to the desktop atall.

Alpha1961 the disc is version 2002 with SP3 its a full copy of windows, hope that helps!

Thanks very much
Kris8
Old 01-12-2011, 01:07 PM   #5
Registered Member

To add

The CPU is standard it has not been overclocked. Also my moniter is a HDTV which displays every screen.

Thanks
Kris8
Old 01-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #6
Registered Member

My System

You would boot off of the XP CD, not the HDD, and get to the Recovery Console so you are by passing the normal boot process.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:17 AM   #7
Registered Member

Ok SP I will try that later and see if that works thanks

Kris8
Old 01-30-2011, 04:15 PM   #8
Registered Member

Ok so not been trying to fix this recently but have some screen shots here so maybe someone could help please.

If anyone thinks its a better and quicker option to just reboot please let me know and how can SAVE my files via transfer before rebooting.

Ok so first is, put the windows cd in and you get the following

Press enter and you get

So instead of reinstalling i goto recovery console and get

IF nothing is done to the pc from boot (no windows disc or pressing any keys) i get this
:(

Any help appreciated thanks
Kris8
Closed Thread