Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

**XP Wont Boot - Hangs on EVERYTHING - DETAILED INFO AND STEPS INSIDE - PLEASE HELP!!

This is a discussion on **XP Wont Boot - Hangs on EVERYTHING - DETAILED INFO AND STEPS INSIDE - PLEASE HELP!! within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey Everyone, Im having problems with my computer and its driving me insane! Please help me. Even as a techie,

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 07:19 PM   #1

Mistake

Hey Everyone,
Im having problems with my computer and its driving me insane! Please help me. Even as a techie, I cant figure this one out...

I was working on my computer when it froze. It has done that before so I shut it off and turned it back on.

Well I turned it back on to a Windows XP boot logo that faded in half way then stopped. The blue status bar didnt show up but the XP logo faded in about half way.

Anyways, I tried rebooting in safe mode to no avail.

I tried booting with the Last Known Configuration to no avail.

I tried Memtest86, alls good.

I tried Microsofts Mem Test, alls good.

I tried booting to Linux. That worked but then it froze too! I shut the computer off (because it froze) and booted it back up and now SuSE wont even load!

I tried booting the Windows XP CD so I could repair the installation but it wont load, it hangs on "Setup is starting Windows".

I tried updating the mobo bios.

I tried resetting bios config back to defaults.

The day before I just ran Spybot and Adaware with latest definitions.

When I try to boot to Safe mode it hangs on nv_agp.sys (that may or may not have anything to do with it).

I have an MSI K7N2G-L mobo, 2x 512MB Crucial DDR400(?) RAM, im trying to boot from a fairly new (3 month old maybe) Maxtor 60GB hard drive 7200RPM. Ive also got an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AGP video card, USB mouse and PS/2 keyboard. Two network cards (ones wireless, ones wired - both Netgear), a standard MSI bracket that gives you boot info, a USB 2.0 PCI card, and a PCI card that I plug two more IDE drives into. I have two CD drives (Samsung and TDK VeloCD burners). The PCI card that I can plug IDE devices into has a Zip Drive and a third hard drive (old 20GB in FAT32). The mobo has 2x Maxtor 60GBs (~3 months) exact same model.

And I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO.

Somebody please help me get back up on my feet ASAP. I just opened a few business accounts yesterday and now CRASH.

ALL comments are appreciated.

Thanks a million,
Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2005, 08:18 PM   #2

hi krazyjosh,

hmmm..........looks like you did plenty of troubleshooting and thats good job you did but sucks to hear that your comp is bad. hmmm....try clearing the cmos and see that works. also if you can get into another working computer and download the latest maxtor hdd diagnostics utility that would be great.

assuming you downloaded the utility, boot off of it and test your hdd for any errors. good luck
Old 05-10-2005, 07:12 AM   #3

Ok, Ill give that a try but Id hate for it to be a hard drive malfunction, the drive is hardly 3 months old.

Thanks..

Any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2005, 10:30 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Sounds like maybe a HD malfunction, but you can try this. Try removing all non-essencial things, so you basically have the GCard, One HD, One CD Drive, and see if that is it. Maybe, but it's a long shot.

BMR777

RusnakWeb - Web Development Tutorials
Old 05-10-2005, 01:02 PM   #5

try booting with 1 memory stick only.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:01 PM   #6

Pencil

I tried clearing the CMOS and booting to the recovery console from diskette. No luck :(
Old 05-10-2005, 04:07 PM   #7

try it with 1 ram stick. you should test your ram 1 piece at a time.
goodluck
Old 05-10-2005, 04:47 PM   #8

Pencil

I tried clearing the CMOS and booting to the recovery console from diskette. No luck :(

EDIT:

Aha! I ran the Maxtor Hard Drive Diagnostic utility (google it) - PowerMax.

It scanned the drive and said it was crapped out.

So, in the end, my drive was bad. :(
Luckily its an easy enough process...

I scanned it with PowerMax, at the end of the scan, it provided me with a confirmation number. It told me to go to Maxtor.com and go to Returns/RMA and file for a return. I simply had to enter my hd serial (provided in the PowerMax program so I didnt have to take it out even), enter my confirmation number from PowerMax.
Then, I had a choice between Standard Return and Advanced Return. Standard means you have to send it back to them first. Advanced means you provide a credit card number and they send you out a new drive immediately and wait for you to send your after you get your new drive.

All I had to do was run a program, fill out an easy form, and right now Im waiting for a new drive. Ill be able to Ghost my old drive onto my new drive (it hasnt failed, data is still there).

Woot.

I posted all of the above so anyone with my problem will know what to do. Most of you probably already know about this process. :)

Thanks for all your help!!! :) :)
Closed Thread