Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

XP User Name Change Issue -- Please Help!

This is a discussion on XP User Name Change Issue -- Please Help! within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi. I'm having trouble with the following scenario: I connected a workstations running Windows XP Home to a Server (Windows

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 05:34 PM   #1

Hi. I'm having trouble with the following scenario: I connected a workstations running Windows XP Home to a Server (Windows 2003 Server). I setup a user name on the server (we'll say "jondoe"). At the workstation, I changed the existing user account name (in control panel) to match the server: jondoe (original user name was "Owner", typical for XP Home). I also set matching passwords for jondoe on the server and workstation. I then rebooted and logged in as jondoe on the workstation. Normally I'd be able to access the server without additional popup windows or "access denied" errors (if the workstation login/password matches the server's login/password for a given user). HOWEVER, this is not the case: I either get additional login windows, or "access denied". From what I can see: the login name (and/or credentials) being passed to the server is still "Owner", and NOT "jondoe"!! (If I setup on the server an "Owner" account, I connect fine... But, I can't use "Owner": I have 3 other workstations to connect with "Owner" accounts!). Please help! :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2008, 05:42 PM   #2

dallas2828,

First, the problem with simply changing the local username on an XP PC is that this doesn't change the references to named folders in C:\Documents and Settings so you'll still be saving files to folders named with the previous username.

The right way to set up your environment would be to ADD your XP PC to your Server 2003 domain (i.e. create a computer account). Likewise, you should add a domain USER account on your server. In this scenario, you should be able to login to the DOMAIN rather than to a user account configured on your local PC.

Simply synching the usernames and passwords on both the server and workstation(s) only works if you're setting up a "Workgroup" environment - which is similar to setting up home networking between multiple XP or Vista clients on the same home network.

- John
Closed Thread