Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

XP security issue

This is a discussion on XP security issue within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Yesterday, it seems that all of my security failed. First, Microsoft Security Essentials keeps bringing up a warning that my

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 05:21 PM   #1
Registered Member

Yesterday, it seems that all of my security failed.

First, Microsoft Security Essentials keeps bringing up a warning that my system is not protected and needs updates. I've tried numerous times to update it, but it keeps giving me the warning over and over. I'm aware that Microsoft has stopped supporting XP, but I assumed that I would get whatever limited protection it would offer without being updated. However, I'm beginning to doubt that, plus I can't find a way to get rid of the continual warning messages.

Second, at the same time, my Malwarebytes Anti-malware Premium started displaying similar messages, and when I try to update the program, it refuses to do so. This is the first time I've ever had a problem with Malwarebytes.

I have Advanced System Care 9.1 Pro installed, but I don't know if it is a reputable program, and unsure whether it is a suitable replacement for MSE or Malwarebytes. I'm committed to keeping XP, partly because I can't afford to buy a new program, and also because I've heard so many negative things about the newer Microsoft stuff. Can you advise me what the best security is that will work on XP?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer,

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon processor, x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3293 Mb
Graphics Card:
Hard Drives: C: Total - 476929 MB, Free - 461177 MB;
Motherboard: MSI, G41M-P23 (MS-7592)
Antivirus: IObit Malware Fighter, Updated: No, On-Demand Scanner: Disabled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2016, 07:34 PM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Microsoft Support

Microsoft stopped updating MSSE for XP last year, so I'm surprised you're only seeing an issue now. Frankly, it was an awful program anyway. I'd remove it along with Advanced System Care and use one of the other free antivirus programs like Avast, Kaspersky, etc.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:31 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon processor....RAM: 3293 Mb
It might be time to get a computer that was built in this century?
As Fred Gavin said, MSE is no longer supported along with XP since 1 year ago. I disagree that it was an awful program, because now it ships with Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 and is called Windows Defender.
IOBit is ok, as long as you don't run the Registry Cleaner portion of the program. This causes more problems then it solves. You shouldn't have to pay for an AV program, the free ones work better anyways.
If you have not had an updated Anti-Virus program on your computer since last year, then you are more then likely infected, which is why Malwarebytes may not be updating, but it is more likely that the newer version of MBAM does not support XP any longer either. It's time to upgrade to a newer/used computer.
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2016, 12:52 PM   #4
Moderator, Editor, Articles Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
IOBit is ok, as long as you don't run the Registry Cleaner portion of the program.
IObit Malware Fighter 2 Review & Rating | PCMag.com

Submit New Articles Here

Help us to help you by posting your System Specs
Old 03-16-2016, 04:17 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

I agree @Deejay about IObit, but I believe Fred was referencing MSE, which I still think is a valid program. No matter, the OP should upgrade to a New/Used computer from this century.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:27 PM   #6

My System

@spunk, be careful you're not accused of ageism against pc's, mine is as old as them thar hills, as they say.

Submit New Articles Here

Old 03-16-2016, 04:40 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

More power to you Dave, I just rebuilt a couple of desktops and laptops from earlier in this century to resell to people with little to no money. But you might need to be dragged into the future kicking and screaming.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:31 PM   #8

We'll have to see if Kenneth even comes back, first.. But in reference to MSSE: In my experience, I have removed more viruses and malware from computers that were running Microsoft Security Essentials than any other anti-virus program. It's also easily disabled via the registry, which doesn't seem to be the case with better anti-virus programs. What's the sense in using an AV program that a piece of malware can just turn off?
Old 03-17-2016, 03:56 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Garvin View Post
We'll have to see if Kenneth even comes back, first...........
I'm here, Fred. I wouldn't start a thread without monitoring it. I just haven't had anything useful to contribute to the discussion, but I do appreciate hearing what others think about this situation.

It's a bit frustrating to me that others are commenting on needing to get a computer from this century. I bought the tower new less than three years ago, so it's not an antique. Maybe the computer store saw me coming and took advantage of my lack of expertise to sell me a dinosaur....or maybe people are perceiving it as old because I loaded it with XP and IE6 (since upgraded to IE8). Regardless, replacing the computer's not an option. I was released from bankruptcy only two months ago so I have no financial resources, and I'll be retiring for health reasons in about two months. I need to struggle along with what I have.

I've tried to download the free version of Spyhunter, but it won't install. I guess I'll keep trying free programs until I find one that the computer will accept. It appears to be a checken-and-egg scenario though....I know I should uninstall Malwarebytes and 1Obit before trying to download something else, but I can't see it being safe to look online for an alternative with absolutely no security in place. I'm starting to develop a defeatist attitude about the computer. I have no idea what to do.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:27 AM   #10
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Keep Malwarebytes. Get rid of IObit. Now try https://www.avast.com/download-thank...T&locale=en-ww

EDIT: If all OK, make sure you disable MSE.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:42 AM   #11

No worries, Kennth, work with what you have until you can get a new one. I still use XP myself. Lots of 1st time posters start a thread and never return, which is why I mentioned waiting to hear back from you. You can keep Malwarebytes installed, but you only want to use 1 anti-virus program or else they conflict with each other.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:17 PM   #12
Registered Member

I'm spinning my wheels.....This morning, I tried to install the free version of Spy Hunter, but after I used the scan, it demanded payment before it would do any repairs. The Spy Hunter program did not appear in my Add & Remove Programs list, so I simply collapsed the window and shut down the computer when I left for work. This afternoon, when I turned on the computer, Spy Hunter was still active and it took a while before I could make it go away. (I think it's gone now)

I took Corday's advice to load Avast, but it refused to load until I removed 10bit. I opened Add & Remove Programs, removed 10bit, removed 10bit Uninstaller, removed Advanced System Care, and stumbled across an old leftover from my defunct AVG program, so I removed it as well. As far as I know, all security programs except MSE and Malwarebytes are gone now ....They don't appear on my list of programs anymore. However, when I tried to load Avast, it insists that I have to remove 10bit before it can proceed with the install.

I'm completely baffled at this point.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:35 PM   #13
Registered Member

Whenever i uninstall a program or file i look for remnants with a free program called "Everything". https://www.voidtools.com/ This program works for me but i can't vouch it will work for others.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:49 PM   #14

My System

Iobit software is notorious for causing problems, even with uninstalling. Even if they have a dedicated removal tool, I wouldn't trust it.

Try Revo Uninstaller, if it doesn't work, you may have to reinstall the iobit thing and then use Revo.

Submit New Articles Here

Old 03-17-2016, 06:32 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deejay100six View Post
.............Try Revo Uninstaller, if it doesn't work, you may have to reinstall the iobit thing and then use Revo.
I tried the Revo thing......There was an onscreen warning that it is incompatible with XP, and could lead to system failure. I immediately cancelled the download and deleted it.

I also tried the Everything program that rugrats recommended. It didn't reveal any 10bit leftovers.

Spy Hunter is back too. It hasn't tried to monopolize my screen this time, but it's displaying an icon in the taskbar at the bottom. I can't find anything in the menu that shows how to get rid of it.

I also tried reinstalling 10bit from my backup disc, thinking that might cause it to reappear on the Installed Programs list, so I could retry deleting it. It appears the backup disc doesn't work.

Getting discouraged.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:48 PM   #16
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Use Revo Uninstaller.This link is for an older version that works with XP. If IOBit is not in the list, then use the Hunter Mode
Cross Hairs appears and you drag it to the C:\Program Files\Program Name\programname.exe to uninstall it.
BTW you can find used computers a couple years old for a reasonable price on Amazon, Ebay and Craigslist that run Windows 7 or 10 for $100 US or less.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:13 PM   #17
Registered Member

I need to shut down for the night. (4:00AM comes early, lol) I'll try the latest suggestion in the morning and let you know how it turns out. Thanks for hanging in there.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:47 PM   #18
Registered Member

I've spent several hours at this......I installer the older XP-compatible version of Revo Uninstaller. It did not detect the 10bit program. I then tried Run Hunter mode, and it does nothing at all.

Maybe I'm going about this wrong. It would be a loss, and regrettable, but I'm prepared to lose everything on my PC if I can cure the problem by dumping everything in memory and returning the program to it's default factory status. Is this possible, and will it solve my problem?

I'm having no luck cleaning out these old security programs, so can I fix it by returning to square one? Very frustrated, and I'm looking for a reason not to just pull the plug and heave the computer off my sundeck.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:08 PM   #19
Registered Member

A quick update.....I started retracing everything that I'd done, and after third try, successfully reinstalled Advanced System Care 9.1 and 10bit. I deleted them several times, but they finally disappeared. Interestingly, the Avast installation resumed automatically with no prompting, and installed successfully. I had a little more problem getting rid of Microsoft Security Essentials. Every time I removed it in Add or Remove Programs, it went to a huge oversize screen asking if I was sure I wanted to remove it. I couldn't find a way to get at the correct location to click on "yes" (or whatever response it was asking for), but I clicked the Enter key several times, and it finally disappeared.

As near as I can tell, I'm using Avast and Malwarebytes exclusively now. Is there anything further I should?
Old 03-18-2016, 07:12 PM   #20
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Cross Hairs appears and you drag it to the C:\Program Files\Program Name\programname.exe to uninstall it.
Maybe this attached video will help? Please read the quote above and follow the instructions, if the program you want to uninstall does not have an icon on the desktop. Then drag the Hunter Mode Crosshair to the C:\Program Files\ file where the program is in and rest it on it's executable file icon. Or if it is icon is in the taskbar by the clock.