Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

XP Pro locked down to non-admin user

This is a discussion on XP Pro locked down to non-admin user within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all. I've got a computer in an enterprise environment running XP Pro, off network, offline. The software manufacturer (Metso)

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 01:11 PM   #1
Registered Member

OS: Kali, Windows 7, Windows 8, Lollipop, ICS, Snow Leopard, iOS 7

Send a message via Skype™ to joarc

Hi all. I've got a computer in an enterprise environment running XP Pro, off network, offline.

The software manufacturer (Metso) has locked down the computer to log into a user account that has no admin. I can't access any properties, cmd, control panel, etc - nothing but the software designed to run on start up (Metso) and shut down/restart.

I cannot log out at the ctrl,alt,del - the option is there but it just takes me back to the user desktop.

Getting in on safe mode with command prompt is possible but commands there seem locked down as well (ie. I tried to run desktop.cpl - no luck). I thought maybe there is a command I can run that will switch users but then I realized even in safe mode I am still logged in as the non-admin user.

Is there a linux distro that gives me some control over XP user accounts maybe? Ugh.

Thanx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2014, 06:52 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

In Safe Mode, log in as Administrator and leave the password blank, unless you know the local administrator password set by the company.Make sure you change the Domain to (This Computer) If it asks for a password that you don't know, there is not much you can do.
If that works, you will be logged in as the Local Administrator and not the Domain Administrator. Here you can Right click My Computer/Properties/Computer Name/Change. Here, if you are part of a Domain, click the Radio button for Workgroup to leave the domain. You will have to log out and log in as the Local Administrator again. Once that is done, you can create a new user with admin rights for yourself and add your own password if you like.
If this all fails, your only recourse is to reinstall Windows from a Windows disc.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:51 AM   #3
Registered Member

OS: Kali, Windows 7, Windows 8, Lollipop, ICS, Snow Leopard, iOS 7

Send a message via Skype™ to joarc

Hi, thanx for the info. But it's local admin I'm trying to get to - the system isn't on my domain. And I have no option to log in as anything because it bypasses the login and goes straight into the account that has no admin.

Reinstalling Windows is not an option. :) At least, not from where I stand. We'd have to hire out the Metso guys at $100,000 a pop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2014, 01:59 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

When you choose to Boot into Safe Mode, it should give you the option to boot into Administrator, or the limited user account.
Do you get a login screen? Or a Welcome screen to click on a User? If the Welcome screen, press CTRL+ALT+DEL 3 times fast, this will give you the old school Login screen where you can type in Administrator.
If it automatically logs in, without input in Safe Mode, then your only recourse is to reinstall Windows.
If you own this computer and it no longer belongs to Metso, you can reinstall Windows with your own Windows disc, or put in your own HDD and install Windows from your own Windows disc. If you do not own this computer and this still belongs to Metso, then you will have to contact them.
Closed Thread