Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

XP pro installed but wont boot from hard drive.

This is a discussion on XP pro installed but wont boot from hard drive. within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. i finally was able to get xp pro installed on a new machine a friend built for me. the problem

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 11:45 PM   #1

Roll Eyes

i finally was able to get xp pro installed on a new machine a friend built for me. the problem is that after the entire thing installed and i restarted it, now it doesnt want to boot from the hard drive. in the bios it IS set to boot from the hard drive first so i have no clue why it wont do it when there's a fully installed copy of xp pro on it. so i still basically have a nonfunctional computer since all it will do it when i turn it on is go to the motherboard screen that gives me the option of updating the bios (did that already) or going to the POST screen.

also, my boyfriend thinks it may have trouble recognizing IDE devices (the hard drive and cdrom in particular) which might explain why it was reacting so slowly at the very start when all it had was a motherboard screen. it took about 2-3 minutes to react when i hit a key on the keyboard and about 4-5 for it to realize if i had the windows cd in there and begin installing it. i dont know if this has anything to do with its inability to boot from the hard drive as well. any ideas on how to fix these problems?

here are my computer's main components:

ASUS "A7V400-MX" VIA KM400A Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU

AMD Athlon XP 2200+, 266 MHz FSB, 256K Cache Processor

pqi POWER Series 184-Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200

Western Digital Special Edition 80GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model WD800JB

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2005, 08:13 AM   #2
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

pull the h/d out and check the jumpers and that you are using an 80 wire cable on it

Old 01-21-2005, 10:28 AM   #3
Registered Member

How long did the installation take?

I once fixed a computer that was running really slowly. It was a 1.8 P4, I think. WinXP took about 20 hours to install. The problem was in the BIOS. The processor was running and minimum instead of normal which really slowed it down. Maybe that could be your problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2005, 12:45 PM   #4

the install proceeded at a normal pace once it got going. it was just very slow at the initial mother board screen before the OS was even on it. it'd take several minutes to react to a single key pressed on the keyboard. it took about 5 minutes for it to recognize that i'd put the windows install cd in and to autoplay it.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:27 PM   #5

thanks, turns out my friend forgot to remove a jumper when he put it together
Closed Thread