Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

XP on multiple HDs, select which one?

This is a discussion on XP on multiple HDs, select which one? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I didn't know whether too post this here since it deals with using windows or in the hardware section since

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
Registered Member

I didn't know whether too post this here since it deals with using windows or in the hardware section since it also deals with hard drives so sry if its in the wrong place but...

Skip to the last paragraph if you just want the basic question.

Do to my amazing luck every computer in my house has at one time failed and i dont have money for another one. Computer 1, the one i'm on now, had the ntdlr error with a broken disk drive so i couldn't use the windows cd. Computer 2, my most used computer, had a dying motherboard and the guy at the store told me i could buy a new one with the money i would spend fixing that one (all the hardware was old school hardware i guess you could say lol) So i used the disk drive from that to figure out a way to get this one working.

This one has 3 HDs in it, the original two and one i put in there from my other computer. I'm not really familiar with windows installations but since the computer was as good as gone anyways nothing could be worse then tryin and either succeeding or failing and use my horrible laptop. So i played around and got windows reinstalled on the computer's 2nd original HD. The first HD had a max of around 60 some gigs and the one that windows is now running off of has a max of 5.... I have no clue who would waste their time making and installing that but i didn't buy this computer so idk. Anywho, i have another 30 gig drive (i think 30) from my dead computer that was used solely for the windows installation since all the files on it i transfered to my larger one which is around 180 gigs i think. Now this 30 gig i thought was dead but it is working fine and it it was XP pro on it and much more space for updates. What i'm working with now doesn't have enough free space to install an antivirus....

So, getting past all the stuff i probably didn't need to tell you... With no working disk drive but an HD with XP pro is there a way i can plug it in and get it to run windows from that drive? right now the Master drive slot is still open so i could plug it in there but there is another black plug going to the 5 gig so idk if somehow this computer has 2 master plugs or what.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2010, 12:07 AM   #2
Registered Member

A little extra, they are IDE drives (wide cables)
Old 08-15-2010, 01:49 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Ok, your message is all over the place and I'm not sure I'm clear about what you've done. So, when you install Windows on a PC it takes a snapshot of the various hardware on that computer and installs drivers for it. Now if you take a HDD with a Windows installation on it and put it on another computer with different chipset and hardware, it will not boot, because it is looking for the previous computers hardware. So, take your largest HDD and remove all the data you want off of it, and format it, and install XP on to the computer you want to work. You then can add the other drives if you like for extra storage after you have completed the install.
Closed Thread