Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

XP Laptop performance issue

This is a discussion on XP Laptop performance issue within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, My XP laptop is acting up. It works fine some of the time, but then it starts "glitching" --

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 08:36 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,

My XP laptop is acting up. It works fine some of the time, but then it starts "glitching" -- as in for example, the mouse will start and stop when moving around the screen, ie, it will freeze for a split second, then move, then freeze, etc... Also, very annoying, when it's "glitching" any video I try to play will play for a second then glitch with a loud noise, then play, then glitch, etc...

I've also noticed that even when the laptop is working and not glitching, it is often moving slowly, such as when I right click on an item to open the pop up menu it takes several seconds to respond.

With the glitching, if I restart the laptop it corrects it -- for a little while, then it returns. But restarting the laptop takes about 10 minutes.

Thank you for any help!
Kenny
PS. I know it's time for a new machine, but I have alot invested in this machine and I need to get more miles out of it. A new machine is not an option right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2016, 02:34 PM   #2
Registered Member

Getting help HERE.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:35 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hi,

In my experience the first thing to go in a laptop is the hard drive. If your in a position to purchase an SSD (Solid State Drive) you can then clone the contents from your old drive to the new. Then once the cloning is finished you put the new SSD into your laptop. Given that you are using XP you probably only have a low capacity hard drive and should be able to find an SSD replacement for under $100.

I don't think that there is much point in going into specifics of what might cause the glitch given how old the laptop is, so have a punt with an SSD and see if that helps.

Cheers

Davo
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ESET threats
In earlier message, and in continuation of another thread on another conmuter I started a thread stating that having tried ESET it had found a number of threats which i will mention at the end. meanwhile I ran DDS abnd will add the the logs. Gmer found rootkit activity but when I ran the scan on...
qimqim Inactive Malware Help Topics 13 12-13-2013 07:22 PM
happili.com virus
Hi, I wrote yesterday that believe i have the happili.com virus and cannot remove it. I was told to follow the pre-post instructions. However, I could not run dds.scr. It would open ans tell me to wait. It said the scan should not last more than 3 minutes. But it never ended and I could not close...
sharkfan12 Resolved HJT Threads 23 04-17-2012 12:38 PM
Virus blocking internet access.
After removing XP Antispyware 2012,I can no longer connect to the internet.It just says "acquiring network address". When I do ipconfig it says "RPC server is unavailable".There's nothing wrong with the internet connection itself.Just something on my computer preventing it from connecting. ....
honeybe Resolved HJT Threads 28 01-10-2012 02:26 AM
Redirect Virus
Hi, Since about a month I've noticed that whenever I run google search after clicking at link in results page I'm being redirected to some random pages. I've ignored it at first as I thought It's harmless, however after making some research I notice it's a serious problem and after failing...
Asator616 Resolved HJT Threads 17 11-17-2011 04:21 PM
Slow browsing
I've had somewhat slow browsing as of late. Here are my logs: . DDS (Ver_2011-08-26.01) - NTFSx86 Internet Explorer: 8.0.6001.18702 BrowserJavaVersion: 1.6.0_22 Run by marvin glick at 2:44:06 on 2011-11-02 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600.3.1252.1.1033.18.1982.1173 . AV:...
sailor86 Inactive Malware Help Topics 0 11-02-2011 12:53 AM