Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

XP home -standby does not stay in standby

This is a discussion on XP home -standby does not stay in standby within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Help please, my standby power scheme option will not hold in standby. The key board option will not hold, maybe

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 10:49 AM   #1

Help please, my standby power scheme option will not hold in standby. The key board option will not hold, maybe a few seconds. The start option does the same thing. I really did use and like this option. Only new change I can think of is the modem. Went to a 4200 Windstream(SpeedStream) because of slow connection on the older ?6200 ? I have many new Indian friends that say it is not the modem.Need a slow walk through,don't understand this problem. Don't understand computers!!
Could be the problem has another source?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #2

1. First go to the device manager.

2. In the device manager open a device that uses "Power Management", such as a Network Adapter by clicking the plus sign next to it. - An easy way to access the device manager is to use the key combination "Windows Key + Pause/break", go to the "Hardware" tab and click the device manager.

3. Right-click the child icon that shows up under the Network Adapters category

4. Left-click properties

5. On the top will be a "Power Management" tab

6. Make sure you uncheck the box that says, "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby".

* There are other devices that use this power management function. One that I know of is Mice, you will have to figure out which it is.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:44 PM   #3

Thanks, FuzzyW will give it a try.
yboy11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2008, 01:30 PM   #4

Fuzzyw---, Could not find a child icon. Under Net Adapters I have 1394 Net Adapt and Intel(R)Pro 100VE Net Connection as two choices. Fearful of moving on.
yboy11
Closed Thread