Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

XP home 2002 erase HD? I goofed!!

This is a discussion on XP home 2002 erase HD? I goofed!! within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Is there a way to erase the harddrive without using the XP cd? OK.. I was attempting to erase HD/"return

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 07:50 AM   #1
Registered Member

Is there a way to erase the harddrive without using the XP cd?

OK.. I was attempting to erase HD/"return to factory settings" on harddrive… and now it's stuck: strike F1 to retry boot (no response), F2 for setup utility…

Cannot figure out how to get back to Wndows XP Home 2002.
Dell DIM2400.. built in optical drive not working..(not sure why, is there a test?)
.. external CD r/w drive Iomega...I have original XP disc…but at this point, I don't know how to boot from disc.

originally: start computer and immedately held down Control and F11..
No results...
I do not remember everthing I tried…

Shut down with start button on cpu…

Start with cpu button….Dell logo.. at top right F2 and F12

F12 - Normal takes me back to F1 (no response)

Keyboard failure

control alt delete takes me back to Dell logo and F12 option

Thank you,
Ang
btw… this computer is not conneceted to the internet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2016, 08:26 AM   #2
Registered Member

more info....F12... to symptom tree..System Lock up..stops on System Memory MachAT @ 27&.. no way to proceed... except turn off using cpu on button....
I appreciate the knowledge of this community... Ang
Old 05-25-2016, 08:58 AM   #3
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Take out any portable media and try F8

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2016, 09:01 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

OS: WIN7 ULTIMATE - 64 bit (SP1), FIREFOX, ASUS G75 'ROG' laptop(s)

This system, Dell Dimension 2400 Specs - CNET is from 2002-2004, with original specs:

Dell Dimension 2400 for Home (Celeron 2.40GHz, 256MB, 40GB)

This system was barely able to run WIN-XP home as built. It sounds like you have at minimum a RAM issue which was common as these systems aged. Unless you can find some used RAM to replace the existing memory, you likely will not get this running.

Besides with the extreme age of the system, there is a good likelihood that there may be other components on the motherboard that are failing. Common failures are the filter capacitors, especially near the CPU socket. Often these caps will swell and become leaky causing many weird symptoms.

In short, this system is so old that it may not be economical to repair at all. In our recycle program we scrap systems less than half this age due to the above stated issues.

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

"Remember - HARDWARE is the part of the computer that can be KICKED!" - WIZMO
Old 05-25-2016, 10:58 AM   #5
Registered Member

tried F8.. no response
Old 05-25-2016, 11:01 AM   #6
Registered Member

You are probably correct.. since I will not be able to erase the HD.. I'll get the screw driver… and remove the HD..
Appreciate everyones input.
Ang
Old 05-25-2016, 01:39 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If you erased the HDD, then there would be nothing on it, no Windows. When you restart the computer, all you would get is F1 or F12, since the HDD is blank.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:40 PM   #8
Registered Member

Thank you… that helps a lot.. I did attempt to remove the HD.. but.. the main center screw was stripped… We are trashing it.. and I didn't want to leave any data..
Thanks again.
Closed Thread