Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

XP hanging after logon

This is a discussion on XP hanging after logon within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello people, wondering if anyone has any ideas: My machine is having a strange problem. I log on to windows


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-02-2004, 05:13 AM   #1
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 23
OS:


Confused

Hello people, wondering if anyone has any ideas:

My machine is having a strange problem. I log on to windows and 80% of the time everything is fine. however the other 20% it comes up saying "loading personal settings" and just hangs there. Once there the machine isn't frozen completly, as things like caps/num lock still turn on and off, but it just sits there. I left it for 2 hours last night to see ifit would get passed but nothing. When the "loading personal settings" dialog is shown you can do anything like ctrl+alt+del or alt+tab the only thing left is to reset the machine.

Has anyone come across this or does any1 have any ideas

Cheers

p.s. i am new newish to this forum - what does the points thing mean by my avatar and is it possible to load a personalised avatar?
lvcjw is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-02-2004, 05:38 AM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
 
Volt-Schwibe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Behind you, watching you as you type.
Posts: 5,580
OS: Win 10

My System

custom avatars at 500 posts... (i think)

the points are 250 = 1$ at our store, the link to the store is in the middle of the screen.

users that would like to can reward people for helping them by donating to them by clicking the link under their name.

the store is about 2 days old, and many more items will be added.
Volt-Schwibe is offline  
Old 11-02-2004, 05:45 AM   #3
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 23
OS:


Thumbs Up

Thanks for that info,

now to set about replying to lots of problems to get the personal avatar

I've also had a chat with a friend who has the same problem - seems to think it could have something to do with zone alarm pro. Is there a conflict known between ZAP and XP SP2?
lvcjw is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-02-2004, 02:54 PM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus
 
Volt-Schwibe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Behind you, watching you as you type.
Posts: 5,580
OS: Win 10

My System

from what i hear, there is only a problem if you don't turn XP's firewall off.

you can't really use two firewalls on one machine without serious conflicts.


(i personally don't have the pro version, and i don't have sp2, but i have read quite a bit about it. for some hardcore reading you might google search for: zonealarm windows xp sp2)
Volt-Schwibe is offline  
Old 11-03-2004, 12:54 AM   #5
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 23
OS:


Thats what I thought, I have XP's firewall turned off though so it isn't a conflict between the 2. Would a HJT log be of any use to see if it is something else ??
lvcjw is offline  
Old 11-03-2004, 12:59 AM   #6
TSF Team Emeritus
 
Volt-Schwibe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Behind you, watching you as you type.
Posts: 5,580
OS: Win 10

My System

oh yeah, anytime something starts slowing the machine down, hijackthis can be of help.


you'll have to scoot over to the security section and read all the sticky's, and then post a log.
Volt-Schwibe is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is on
Smilies are on
[IMG] code is on
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Post a Question


» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
  > 10.0.0.2
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2001 - 2018, Tech Support Forum

Windows 10 - Windows 7 - Windows XP - Windows Vista - Trojan Removal - Spyware Removal - Virus Removal - Networking - Security - Top Web Hosts