Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

XP Folder Permissions and Security Settings - Locked Myself Out

This is a discussion on XP Folder Permissions and Security Settings - Locked Myself Out within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I screwed up and accidentally changed the permissions on a UserGroup that I am apart of denying it everything on

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 07:11 AM   #1

I screwed up and accidentally changed the permissions on a UserGroup that I am apart of denying it everything on a folder. Due to the Deny precedence in the the XP Permissions, I now cant go back and change it back. Any tips or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2008, 07:16 AM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visitng Expert

Hello medauto

See if you can do this
Take ownership of the folder by right clicking it and selecting Properties. Select the Security Tab and click the Advanced button. You'll see an Owner tab so add your User Name to the list

You may need to go to My Computer/Tools/Folder Options/View tab and uncheck "Use simple file sharing" or you won't have a Security tab otherwise.

XP Home
Go to Safe Mode to find the Security Tab

You need to be using an Admin Account to do it.
Once you have given yourself permission you will not get the “Access Denied” message.

To apply to subfolders check the box "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" before you click “Apply”

Old 07-17-2008, 07:21 AM   #3

Thanks, taking ownership of the folder worked. I appreciate the help.

Problem solved!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2008, 07:27 AM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visitng Expert

I am happy to have helped you medauto

Old 08-03-2008, 02:05 AM   #5
Registered Member

Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunedin View Post
Hello medauto

See if you can do this
Take ownership of the folder by right clicking it and selecting Properties. Select the Security Tab and click the Advanced button. You'll see an Owner tab so add your User Name to the list

You may need to go to My Computer/Tools/Folder Options/View tab and uncheck "Use simple file sharing" or you won't have a Security tab otherwise.

I'm having a terrible time. I mirrored my laptop with Acronis True Image, so I could do a clean install of Xp Pro, then add data back and reinstall programs as needed. I wanted to do this because my laptop was becoming very slow, and I've found that doing a clean manual installation of Windows really speeds things up.

Everything went fine, and I am able to access the image I saved and individual folders and files, but under Docs & Settings I cannot access my personal folders anymore, getting the Access Denied message.

But I am also unable to use the procedure above. I am logged in as admin, have Simple File Sharing turned off, and after I click the Advanced button under the Security tab, I go to the Owner tab and get a Security box that says I only have permission to view the current owner on the folder. When I click OK, it shows the current owner as Administrator, but under Change Owner To everything is greyed-out and inaccesable.

I've been searching around, including the Microsoft support site, and always see the suggestion just like yours', but it doesn't work for me.

When I try to Share the folder, I get a warning that the shared status was not created.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-03-2008, 04:08 AM   #6
Registered Member

This Microsoft article refers to problems installing SP3, but Method 3 talks about resetting permissions. Perhaps it will help.

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
Old 08-03-2008, 04:19 AM   #7
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visitng Expert

Hello tadcook

I have not seen that problem before

Did you have the files encrypted before?

The only think I can suggest is to try to share from the root of the folder
Go to C: then Documents and Settings/Properties and share this folder.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:58 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunedin View Post
Hello tadcook

I have not seen that problem before

Did you have the files encrypted before?

The only think I can suggest is to try to share from the root of the folder
Go to C: then Documents and Settings/Properties and share this folder.

I tried that. And no, nothing was encrypted.

I am trying to access this from the laptop while searching the virtual restored image using Acronis TrueImage, so anything I am doing is set up from the external backup drive from one compressed image file.

I run TrueImage, I log in, then it goes to the external hard drive and shows the image files with complete descriptions and dates. I can select any image, and the program attaches it as a new (virtual) drive with a new drive letter, so I can navigate it just like any other attached drive.

The plan was to take an image of the whole drive, not just docs and settings, then do a clean install of Xp Pro and any applications from installation disks. So all I would need to do is copy back docs, favorites, etc, and anything else I had stashed on the old drive, other than apps.

Everything is accessable except my personal docs and settings, including other (non-admin) users.

A possible workaround occured to me this morning. I have both the original image I am trying to access now, and a later one I took after the fresh Xp install was done.

I could reinstall the old image, login to my old account, then make sure c:\Documents and Settings\My Name\ is shared out in advance. Then save a new image of either the whole drive, or just docs and settings with the new perimissions granted, then reinstall the fresh Xp installation image, and continue from there.

First I am going to check out a couple of other Microsoft KB resources, including the one that was suggested by the person who posted after mine and just prior to yours'.

Wish me luck! I need it. If you think of anything else before I reinstall from the old image, save a new one, then reinstall from the fresh image (do I have all that straight?) , any suggestions are appreciated.
Closed Thread