Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

XP file corrupted or missing. Wont start up.

This is a discussion on XP file corrupted or missing. Wont start up. within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have an old desktop with XP home on it. It refuses to start with the message: system 32\drivers\ntfs.sys. It

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 08:44 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have an old desktop with XP home on it. It refuses to start with the message: system 32\drivers\ntfs.sys. It is missing or corrupt and I need to insert the original disc, which I do not have. Is there a way to download the file to my other computer and load it onto the one that will not start? I have tried everything I can think of to fool it into starting. No dice. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2016, 02:29 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You will need an XP CD to fix your computer.
You can try downloading the XP Recovery Console ISO image. Burn the image to CD using IMGBurn in my signature and then boot off of the newly created CD. In the Recovery Console you can type chkdsk /R and press enter. Now type a Y for Yes and restart the computer. This will check you HDD. If it fails, the HDD needs to be replaced.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:08 AM   #3
Registered Member

Your answer worked like a charm. I am in your debt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2016, 01:04 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

I am glad I was able to help you get it sorted. Please mark this thread Solved in the Thread Tools at the top.
Attached Images

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help..xp bsod when i run virus scan.
Hi, this is Troy, i have windows xp with sp3 and i everytime i run a virus scan and have run multiple kinds from windows to maleware bytes...you name it. I get to a point in the scan where i get a blue screen and then computer shuts down. When i run it with out doing a scan the computer stays on....
sootherlol Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help 0 02-18-2013 05:31 PM
Beeping Sounds in the Background
I went to a site today and immediately realized it was a "bad" site, but was on a browser without WoT. (I was searching for the difference between a wet and a dry cappuccinno and ended up at some file server.) Anyway, shortly after, I could hear background sounds that sounded like a virus was...
flourcollie Inactive Malware Help Topics 26 12-02-2012 11:43 PM
Antivirus programs and Windows updates blocked
Hello to the Forum. I have got this problem: it is impossible to update antivirus programs and windows. Regarding the latter, I can't perform windows update neither from the start menu (error code 80072EFE) neither from internet (can't connect to windows update page). Other than this I can't...
beppe1968 Resolved HJT Threads 25 10-06-2011 02:24 AM
help BSOD
Hi all Recently ive been getting alot of lock ups and bsod with this error. A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated. Any help with this would be muchappreciated:pray:
Thesickness BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 17 07-10-2011 02:55 AM
[SOLVED] BSOD problems.
Vista x64 What was original installed OS on system? None. Custom built. OEM: Full Retail Version Age of system (hardware): 3 years Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? 3 years. Yes. CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale Video Card: EVGA GEforce 8800 GT...
ajcc323 BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 25 02-24-2011 04:31 AM