Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

XP DOS - checking drive existence

This is a discussion on XP DOS - checking drive existence within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Gudday all For various reasons I need to check the presence or absence of drives on my XP machine at

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 07:33 AM   #1
Registered Member

Gudday all
For various reasons I need to check the presence or absence of drives on my XP machine at any given time using a DOS batch file.
If the device is physically there it is ok but I have a removable drive noted in drive position G: (yet it is not present) that constantly throws up the same error and halts the batch file. See attachment.
I would like to be able to ignore this error (and others like it) and continue checking for other drive's existence.
Has anyone any experience in coding for such a task?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drive error message.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	27429  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2008, 07:59 AM   #2

Tigers!,

Check out these sites:

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/65994

https://www.computing.net/answers/pro...le-/16096.html

- John
Old 05-04-2008, 01:28 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks mate.
I'll have a Captain Cook.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2008, 01:52 AM   #4
Registered Member

Actually on further thought I was wondering if I am able to test the error message that I am being given.
If my reading of it is correct the code 'c0000013' is actually an error code. I am seeing it as the pop-up alert.
Is it possible to have it read by the batch file and used? When it appear a sone of the errorlevel codes or something else?
Old 05-04-2008, 07:21 PM   #5

Tigers!,

Does your batch file have the 'exit' command where it needs to terminate (usually at the end)? Fixing this message may be as simple as adding 'exit' at the end.

I'm looking up that code and it seems to have something to do with a missing disk error. Does your batch file reference a drive letter (CD, DVD Diskette, Flash Drive, etc.) that is being removed before the batch file has finished. Is it possible that you've hard-coded a drive letter/path in the file that no longer exists (media not inserted, drive letter changed)?

Does your batch file switch to another drive, i.e. the command "D:" or "A:" (etc.) in a line by itself? Again doing this if that drive is not available will cause the error you describe.

If not, where is that error code "c0000013" coming from (DOS, Windows, application, etc.)?

Do you have good anti-virus/malware software installed and running on your PC. It's a good idea to run a FULL scan as this problem might be related to an infection:

Check out:

https://www.techsupportforum.com/secu...this-log-help/

Hope this helps,

- John
Closed Thread