Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Workstation can ping and be pinged but no internet connection

This is a discussion on Workstation can ping and be pinged but no internet connection within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I am doing an internship and currently I am working on a dell PC with windows Xp trying to

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 10:40 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,
I am doing an internship and currently I am working on a dell PC with windows Xp trying to get the Internet connection up and running. When I go to my network places there is no connections at all. Usually you see the Local area connection and other wireless networks but when I try on this PC the page just loads a empty page. The PC is able to ping other computers outside of the workgroup and other computers can ping the PC but there is no internet at all and I cannot see the other computers in the workgroup. I'm thinking it's something with the services but from my research all the services that should be running are running. Maybe I'm over looking something any help would be appreciated. Is it possible that port 80 is shut off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2016, 02:46 PM   #2
Registered Member

This is likely a DNS issue. A few things to note here:

1. Network Places is not where you find your network adapters - that's the Network Connections window. If you don't have any adapters listed there, check the Device Manager to ensure they are installed correctly. I'm thinking they are, as you're able to ping.
2. Are the other PCs you're pinging on the same LAN? Are they part of the same subnet? Can you ping outside the gateway, say to 8.8.8.8? What's your current IP Address and gateway?
3. What are the results when you run this command:
nslookup google.com
from a command prompt?
4. You can't shut off ports - you can block them with a software/hardware firewall, but you can't shut them down.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:41 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

To Add to what jayarelawler is saying, go to Start/Run and type ncpa.cpl and press enter. In Network Adapters, you should see Local Area Connection. Right click this and choose Diagnose.
You also can go to Start/Run and type CMD and press Enter. In the Command Prompt type ipconfig /Release and press enter the ip address turns to 0.0.0.0.
Now type ipconfig /flushdns and press enter
Now type ipconfig /registerdns and press enter
now type ipconfig /renew and press enter. If that doesn't work Type
ipconfig /all> 0 & 0 notepad 0 press enter, copy the text in the notepad results and paste it in your next post.
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2016, 07:36 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayarelawler View Post
This is likely a DNS issue. A few things to note here:

1. Network Places is not where you find your network adapters - that's the Network Connections window. If you don't have any adapters listed there, check the Device Manager to ensure they are installed correctly. I'm thinking they are, as you're able to ping.
2. Are the other PCs you're pinging on the same LAN? Are they part of the same subnet? Can you ping outside the gateway, say to 8.8.8.8? What's your current IP Address and gateway?
3. What are the results when you run this command:
nslookup google.com
from a command prompt?
4. You can't shut off ports - you can block them with a software/hardware firewall, but you can't shut them down.

I cannot ping 8.8.8.8 or anything outside this workgroup. And now the PC is able to ping but when other pcs try to ping the PC now the request times out. And yes they are all part of the same subnet. I've been trying to figure out how to put a screen shot or picture on here but my current network connection folder is empty just the things in the tab off to the very left of the screen ie create a new connection, change firewall settings. The create new connection never works I've tried. The device manager say my adapter is working fine and the drivers are all updated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	288521  
Old 07-29-2016, 07:42 AM   #5
Registered Member

I've tried the ncpa.cpl a couple times already with no success. And I tried everything you suggested and it did what it was suppose to do but did not change anything.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:29 AM   #6
Registered Member

Just wanted to post an update. Since i am doing an internship I'm working on old computers that my boss has just for interns to work on. He breaks them and we fix them. it has something to do with the services because I keep asking questions and he keeps bringing up the services. Now I'm not too familiar with the services side of all this yet this is actually my first time really working with them. But is it possible to shut off a certain host service that will cause all this or something along those lines?
Old 07-29-2016, 02:09 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You are supposed to figure this out on your own as part of your intern job. If you can't figure it out, then they won't hire you full time.
We do not help with homework or troubleshooting to help you figure out the problem your boss set up for you.
I will tell you, to go to Start/Search and type in Services.msc, and press enter and start there.