Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Wireless connection problems

This is a discussion on Wireless connection problems within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a dell optiplex gx 520 2.4 cpu 1gig of ram and onboard graphics and nic, I recently had

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 09:36 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have a dell optiplex gx 520 2.4 cpu 1gig of ram and onboard graphics and nic, I recently had to re-format the hard drive and installed drivers for wireless internet adapter which is a netgear wn111.2. The icons in the system tray are showing that I am connected to the internet, when I bring up my browser and try to do a search,it is saying that I am not connected, it also says that my wireless is not being managed by windows.

Have gone into internet connections and checked let windows configure my wireless connection, I click ok, return to home bring up browser again do a search and browser again says not connected to internet. Went back to internet connections and found that let windows configure wireless connection is unchected. Have also gone into device manager un-installed adapter drivers, restarted, when I bring up browser, its still saying I am not connected even though the system tray icons are showing that I am connected.

I am totallay confused, hope somebody can suggest something that I may be overlooking. Thank you very much.

kcbc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2017, 09:57 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

Lets take a peek at your network environment:

First:

Power Cycle everything . . Turn off the Modem, router and all pc's . . turn on the Modem and wait a few minutes for the lights to stabilize . . then turn on the router, then one pc at a time. See if you connect to the internet.

Then:

Remove all the stored wireless network profiles and search for the network again.

How to Remove Stored Wireless Network Profiles for XP, Vista, and Windows 7 ( This is for Windows 7 but the steps are virtually the same for 8 and 10

Then: check your browser's settings, remove any proxy settings if found, here's how

Then:

with the pc connected to the router, Click on Start . . Run . . type CMD

At the > prompt type or copy and paste the following command:

ipconfig/all > 0 & notepad 0

and press enter.

Come back here and Paste the results in a message.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB drive, or a CD-R disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

then please Download and run this Xirrus WiFi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here. For Vista and Windows 7, 8 you can use the Windows Snipping Tool

Old 01-17-2017, 06:29 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
un-installed adapter drivers
If you uninstalled the USB Network Adapters software and driver, then you must reinstall it.
The Netgear software has it's own icon by the clock and manages the wireless settings, this is different then the Windows Wireless Icon that is under Network Connections
Remove the adapter from the computer and Re-Download the latest version of the software for XP NETGEAR Support | Downloads, Extract the driver and software and save it to your Download location, then run it. During the install, it will tell you when to plug in the USB Adapter. To see if you are connected, use the Netgear software that is included. You can also download the PDF instructions on how to install it. If you have problems, contact Netgear support.
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2017, 08:24 PM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks old rich and spunk fun.funk, I was away for about a week, so I decided to re-format the hard drive installed the wireless drivers and the internet came on in about 2 minutes. Thanks again for your suggestions.

kcbc
Old 01-27-2017, 07:46 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

Glad you got it sorted!

Closed Thread