Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

WinXP Media Center Edition 2002 Installation service error

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
Ok folks, i shot myself in the foot.

Now that the obvious is out of the way, how about i get down to what's wrong;

i accessed Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services a few weeks ago to disable the media center add-ons (don't need 'em don't want 'em, just got tired of them hogging resources) more specificly the reciever, scheduler, and extender. (along with ipod service because like everything else it was ancient and died a while back)

Apparently everything had gone smoothly untill recently when Adobe came out with an update along with AVG anti-virus.

Both are able to download the updates but AVG just gets stuck while Adobe kicks out a unable to access installer service message.

I already went back to services to check that service and it doesn't look like i changed it and is currently set to manual start-up. One of my concerns is i seem to remember being able to change permissions or some sort as far as whether local or remote users could access the services, but i can't seem to remember how to get back to that and worried i may have 'bumped' the wrong thing.

Any suggestions on how i can get the service running properly so updates will work? or how to reset all the services to a default?

See less See more
#2 ·
Go to Start/Run and type control userpasswords and press enter. Create a new user with Admin rights. Log out of the user you are in and log in as the new user. Try downloading your AVG updates. If that works, then go to C:\Documents and Settings and copy your personal files in your user profile (Desktop, Favorites, My Documents, Start Menu) folders to the new profile and use that.

#3 ·
Looks like creating a new account doesn't do the trick, and there is some spyware that isn't detected when i run Malwarebytes, Spybot, or AVG that uses up network bandwith, cpu, memory, and causes browsers to open new tabs at suspicious fake sites...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.