Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

WinXP Boot menu with several entries

This is a discussion on WinXP Boot menu with several entries within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. the repairing procedure at winXP didn`t work, so I have faulty entries in the winXP bootmenue which are likely in

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 03:43 AM   #1
Registered Member

the repairing procedure at winXP didn`t work, so I have faulty entries in the winXP bootmenue which are likely in the bootsector ----a transfer of the running system with backup and restore with true image to an other drive shows the same.
Is there any tool for editing these entries?
Starting the booting now I always have to timely select the proper entry.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2016, 04:08 AM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by noface0711 View Post
the repairing procedure at winXP didn`t work, so I have faulty entries in the winXP bootmenue which are likely in the bootsector ----a transfer of the running system with backup and restore with true image to an other drive shows the same.
Is there any tool for editing these entries?
Starting the booting now I always have to timely select the proper entry.
Thanks
Boot menu entries for XP are stored in a hidden system file called boot.ini. You do not need any other tool to repair it except a Windows XP media (CD or USB flash disk). Go to https://abt.cm/1PRnX2N and follow the tutorial.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:06 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

The easiest way is to boot into XP, go to Start/Run and type msconfig and press enter. Go to the Boot.ini tab and press check all boot paths. If there are any boot paths that are not valid, it will ask if you want to remove them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	msconfig_boot_ini.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	277321  

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DVD drive not found in bios boot menu?
I have a Probook 6560b. Bios just updated to F.61 Rev.A. (sp72496.exe) In hopes this would fix the problem. It didn't. The problem: DvD drive not found in boot menu in bios. Put in new hdd, ready to install w7, no dvd option. You can open and close the dvd drive no problem, you can hear the...
UGOTme Laptop Support 3 11-09-2015 09:23 PM
Toshiba P50t-A "Check cable connection!" - Won't boot or allow changes in boot menu
Hi there, I have had my Toshiba laptop for a while now and this is the first major problem I have encountered. I placed it down on the bed last night, it was on battery power so I closed it and it would not start up properly again. I got the following message "Check cable...
Britt13 Laptop Support 2 08-16-2015 07:03 AM
Can't restart/shut down
Setup: Win 7 home premium 64-bit laptop, i7 3610qm nvidia geforce gtx 660m When i try to restart or shut down via start menu nothing happens. If i then click on the taskbar explorer crashes, when restarted a new one opens but the old one is still visible on the screen though i cannot interact...
jakeed Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support 35 04-09-2014 10:24 AM
[SOLVED] graphical boot menu missing i get only text boot menu
how can i restore graphical boot menu of windows 8 i tried adding linux boot entries 2 3 times adding deleting writing the MBR with easybcd. i need help to get back the graphical boot menu back is there any where anoption for text/graphical boot menu in control panel or somewhere ?
roodap Linux Support 4 02-25-2014 02:39 PM