Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Windows XP SP2, black screen and hang after bootup

This is a discussion on Windows XP SP2, black screen and hang after bootup within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm fixing a relative's computer, it's a VAIO desktop computer, specs here : https://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...l?mdl=PCVRX560 I understand no hardware has been

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 08:11 PM   #1
Registered Member

I'm fixing a relative's computer, it's a VAIO desktop computer, specs here :
https://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...l?mdl=PCVRX560

I understand no hardware has been added/removed, so the specs should be fairly accurate.

The problem in question is this :
PC starts up normally, goes to screen with Windows logo and loading bar, the bar freezes for a moment, then unfreezes, the screen transitions into a black screen , and it hangs there, as in, the CPU stops working completely and it doesn't respond to anything.

I've tried the bootup menu, but the only option that works is safe mode. Using that, I've tried system restore (many times, from dates of 1 week ago to 1 month ago), but Windows XP still hangs up while booting.

The owner of the PC is not very computer-literate, so getting specific details of what went wrong from him would be too hard. I've tried looking around in Safe Mode, but there's not much to see. No suspicious running processes (obviously) and no suspicious entries running at Startup either.

Is there anything else I could check/do from Safe Mode to solve this problem without resorting to reinstalling the O.S.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2008, 09:33 PM   #2

you could use a certified xp cd and bring the recovery console to a command prompt and from there tell it to fixmbr (fix master boot record) but this is for advanced users as you can completely screw up the computer...otherwise i would say get what info off you can in safe mode and reformat and start from scratch...cause it sounds like one of the windows boot sectors has failed...
Old 11-17-2008, 09:41 PM   #3
Registered Member

How bad exactly can I get screwed?
The PC has only one drive but two partitions, is there a risk of losing data from both partitions by using that command?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2008, 09:54 PM   #4

honestly, other than wiping all info off c:/ i dont know...i have used it a few times and the only problem i had was wiping c:/....so read up on it before you do that to make sure you do it right....
Old 11-17-2008, 10:18 PM   #5
Registered Member

I'll consider it as a last solution, I guess.
Also, to further narrow the problem I should say it's not an user account problem. I was unsure since the PC only has one account, but I made an extra one through Safe-Mode and the PC still hangs in the black screen, which shows up after the windows logo but BEFORE the user login screen.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:00 PM   #6
Registered Member

After backuping all the important data, I tried fixmbr today (and fixboot afterwards, just to be sure). I didn't lose any data, but it didn't fix a thing either, basically, I'm still at the same point : Windows logo, and hang at black screen afterwards. No login screen, no error message, nothing.

I'm also still able to access Safe Mode, and just to be sure, I deleted the only user account available and made a new one (trying to exhaust all possibilities here...), but still, no cigar.

I really have no clue what could be wrong. Anyone wanna suggest something else before I format the thing?
Old 11-18-2008, 11:44 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

OS: XP Pro SP3, MCE 2005 sp3, Vista Ultimate SP2, Windows 7 Ultimate

My System

Try this one: Use cd (im assuming home editon) put it in cdrom and press enter

to boot from cd.

Recovery console, type in: bootcfg /repair (notice 1 space between bootcfg and slash)

Recovery console, type in: chkdsk

heres 2 suggestions try these.
Closed Thread