Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

windows xp running extremely slow

5K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  StCuth 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am having a problem with windows xp running extremely slow. I recently had to reformat my hard drive and reinstal windows xp. Since then, it runs a little slow when I try to access some programs; however, when I try to do things like installing software, it runs extremely slow. It takes 1 - 2 hours to install software. An example is when I try to open something using PowerISO, it takes 1 - 2 hours to extract it to temporary files and then maybe 1/2 an hour to install the program itself. Here are some specs

Windows xp profesional
Pentium dual core 2.13 ghz
2 gb ram
250 hard drive

The only problem that seems to be showing up under device manager is HS 3d sensor 1394 Agere has a warning beside it. I am thinking maybe that I am missing a/some driver(s). Any help would be appreciated. If you need to know more about my system, please just ask.

#2 ·
Hello, I think your Hard Drive may be slowly failing or has corrupt sectors. Try running a Disk Check

Click Start, click Run and type in CMD.
Once CMD opens type: chkdsk volume:/r
Press Enter

You will most likely receive the following message:
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
Type Y, and then press Enter to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

Regards,
George

#3 ·
It is very interesting for Windows XP to run slow. I suggest running CCleaner to clean out unnecessary files and to fix the registry. As well, do you have a lot of programs? If you do, then it might be clogging up your hard drive space, especially if you do not have much space left. As well, have you tried defragging? I suggest running Defraggler to defrag your hard drive.

#5 ·
OK, I just finished doing a chkdsk /r and it did find some bad sectors in 3 files and fixed it. It finished and said windows was cleaned but still is running the same. Like I said before, I had to format the harddrive and reinstall Windows so I have very little on my hard drive.

I haven't put much on it as in the way of programs because it is taking so long to install it. It almost seems like I have no ram or that I have missed a driver, somehow. I am suspecting a driver. Does anyone know of a free driver scanner?

Ferdia

#7 · (Edited)
The only problem that seems to be showing up under device manager is HS 3d sensor 1394 Agere has a warning beside it. I also found a somewhat free driver program called DriverMax and this is what it came up with:

NVIDIA Quadro FX 550

HS 3d Sensor IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers
HS 3d Sensor1394 Agere
[/URL]

Human Interface Devices
USB Human Interface Device
[/URL]

IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C0
[/URL]
Intel(R) ICH7 Family Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 27DF
[/URL]

IEEE 1284.4 compatible printers
Officejet J4500 (DOT4PRT)
[/URL]
HP Officejet J4500 (DOT4PRINT)
[/URL]

IEEE 1284.4 devices
Officejet J4500 (DOT4)
[/URL]

Imaging devices
HP Officejet J4500
[/URL]

Keyboards
HID Keyboard Device
[/URL]

Mice and other pointing devices
HID-compliant mouse
[/URL]

Network adapters
Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller
[/URL]

Sound, video and game controllers
IDT High Definition Audio CODEC
[/URL]
Creative X-Fi Audio Processor (WDM)
[/URL]

System devices
Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family PCI Express Root Port - 27D0
[/URL]
Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio
[/URL]
Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family SMBus Controller - 27DA
[/URL]
Intel(R) ICH7 Family PCI Express Root Port - 27E0
[/URL]
Intel(R) ICH7 Family PCI Express Root Port - 27E2
[/URL]
Intel(R) 82801 PCI Bridge - 244E
[/URL]
Intel(R) 975X Memory Controller Hub - 277C
[/URL]
Intel(R) 975X PCI Express Root Port - 277D
[/URL]
Intel(R) ICH7 Family LPC Interface Controller - 27B8
[/URL]

Universal Serial Bus controllers
Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 27C8
[/URL]
Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 27C9
[/URL]
Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 27CA
[/URL]
Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 27CB
[/URL]
Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 27CC
[/URL]
USB Composite Device
[/URL]
USB Printing Support
5.1.2600.05.1.2600.0Officejet J4500 (DOT4USB)
[/URL]

Hopefully this will correct some/all of the faults. I also did a virus scan with Malwarebyte and it found 8 viruses and they were removed.

Ferdia

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.