Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Windows XP Professional SP2 Repair - Help?!

This is a discussion on Windows XP Professional SP2 Repair - Help?! within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am running the Windows XP Professional SP2 on a piece of metalworking machinery, and the computer will no longer

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 11:44 AM   #1
Registered Member

I am running the Windows XP Professional SP2 on a piece of metalworking machinery, and the computer will no longer boot. When I go to turn it on, it goes to the black screen with white text where there are options to boot in Safe Mode, Boot with settings that worked last, and Boot Normally. No matter what option I choose, it always restarts the machine and returns to this same screen.

I was advised by a 3rd party that I would probably have to repair it with another copy of Windows XP, but before I did this, I wanted to ask a few important questions:

I no longer have the original Windows XP disk that was used to install the OS, but I do have the COA code. Also, I do not have a way to connect this computer to the internet.

Can I use any XP disk to restore it, or can I just get the SP 2 disk and restore it with that?

Once repaired, will I have to connect it to internet to verify the COA code? Or since XP is already installed, will it just recognize the existing platform?

I saw a post talking about streamlining SP2 into an XP .iso file. Is that a viable option?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2017, 12:00 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

If you have a floppy boot disc, try it. If not you can download one.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:02 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

There are no legal Free ISO versions of Windows XP.
The last Service Pack that XP made available is SP3.
To repair your system, you would need the same type Windows disc with the same SP as is installed on your computer. (ie) Windows XP Home or Pro SP2. You can find a disc on Ebay or Amazon.
If you are not sure if your OS is Home or Pro, you can backup what data you have on that drive to an external USB HDD, and then get Any Windows XP disc, SP3 preferred and Reinstall Windows. Then restore your files.
May I ask, is XP absolutely necessary? Your computer may be able to run Windows 7 which is still supported by Microsoft and it would be easier to get a disc for.
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2017, 12:03 PM   #4
Registered Member

I do not have a floppy boot disk.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:06 PM   #5
Registered Member

Yes, changing the OS is not an option. The main reason we are trying to keep everything the same is to keep existing programs installed on the machine.

So I could purchase and XP Pro SP2 disk and run the repair tool and everything would be ok?
Old 01-02-2017, 12:08 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

It's worth a shot
Old 01-02-2017, 12:17 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
It's worth a shot
So I've seen auctions for just the SP2 disk and also for the full version of XP Pro with SP2. Which one do you think is needed?
Old 01-02-2017, 01:01 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
There are no legal Free ISO versions of Windows XP.
The last Service Pack that XP made available is SP3.
To repair your system, you would need the same type Windows disc with the same SP as is installed on your computer. (ie) Windows XP Home or Pro SP2. You can find a disc on Ebay or Amazon.
If you are not sure if your OS is Home or Pro, you can backup what data you have on that drive to an external USB HDD, and then get Any Windows XP disc, SP3 preferred and Reinstall Windows. Then restore your files.
May I ask, is XP absolutely necessary? Your computer may be able to run Windows 7 which is still supported by Microsoft and it would be easier to get a disc for.
Would a recovery disk work? Also, if a recovery disk is used, would it matter that the disk has SP3 and my system has SP2?
Old 01-02-2017, 02:44 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

What is the make and model# of the computer/machine? If it is a name brand computer (ie) Dell, HP etc, you can find a Recovery Disc for that brand.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:49 PM   #10
Registered Member

Well, as said in the original post, it's a computer for a metal fabrication machine - called a turret press. No name branding that i'm aware of. Got an Intel Celeron processor, though, Kingston RAM, and a Samsung Hard Drive
Old 01-02-2017, 03:15 PM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Since it is not a computer per se, it will not have a recovery disc.
An XP disc of some kind would allow you to boot into the Recovery Console, where you could do some repairs. If worse comes to worse, you would have to reinstall Windows XP with that disc.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:58 AM   #12
Registered Member

It sounds like you have a cad program like mastercam. Here is a option you could try first for the price of a cd and a free burning program like imageburn.
It is a bootable xp recovery console.
https://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.p...sole-wo-xp-cd/
Look at this for some repair options.
https://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=5836
Closed Thread