Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Windows XP locks up when I try to copy or move files from external drive to IDE drive

This is a discussion on Windows XP locks up when I try to copy or move files from external drive to IDE drive within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I recently bought an old used PC (Dell XPS Gen. 2 Ė Pentium 4 3.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM), installed

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
Registered Member

I recently bought an old used PC (Dell XPS Gen. 2 Ė Pentium 4 3.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM), installed my 1 TB SATA hard drive and a new install of Windows XP SP3. Iíve also got an IDE hard drive in there with lots of media files on it. Iíve been trying to copy or move files from an external USB hard drive to the IDE drive, but nearly every time I try to do so, Windows Explorer (or Q-Dir) will lock up, with the progress bar showing very little progress. I have been able to copy a few small files successfully, but anything else seems to crash it. Iíve checked for DMA/PIO status and have found that it has reverted to PIO several times, and Iíve deleted the primary IDE channel in device manager so that it would reinstall with DMA mode. The problem persists. My device manager shows two primary IDE channels and one secondary IDE channel. I have the 1 SATA hard drive, 1 IDE hard drive, and 1 SATA DVD burner installed.
Any ideas?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
TSF Emeritus

can you write a file to the drive?
any files you can open on the drive? Or do you get access denied when you try to open a file?
Old 03-23-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Lets say your external drive is G: drive letter. Go to Start/Run and type chkdsk G: /R and press enter (change the drive letter to what your external is) Now type a Y to unmount the drive. the Check Disk utility will try and fix any errors on the drive. If your going to be moving GB's of Data then you should install teracopy. It will ensure that all of the data will copy over without fail.
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wand3r3r View Post
can you write a file to the drive?
any files you can open on the drive? Or do you get access denied when you try to open a file?
I can access and write files on both the external drive and the internal IDE drive.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:22 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Lets say your external drive is G: drive letter. Go to Start/Run and type chkdsk G: /R and press enter (change the drive letter to what your external is) Now type a Y to unmount the drive. the Check Disk utility will try and fix any errors on the drive. If your going to be moving GB's of Data then you should install teracopy. It will ensure that all of the data will copy over without fail.
I ran CHKDSK - it took over 12 hours to complete. It never prompted me to unmount, and found no errors. I installed TeraCopy, but it isn't faring much better -- less than 200 KB/s transfer, and for 107 GB of data, it shows an ETA of 11 days. When I checked task manager, it showed 100% CPU utilization, primarily by wmplayer.exe (which I did not have running). It remained high after I killed that one. Is there something else I should be checking here?
Closed Thread