Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Windows XP-internal safe mode

This is a discussion on Windows XP-internal safe mode within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Sorry, I can't think of a better way to title this posting. here is my problem. I am helping a

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 02:16 PM   #1
Registered Member

Sorry, I can't think of a better way to title this posting. here is my problem.

I am helping a friend with an Emachine running Windows XP Media Center Edition ver 2002 SP3. Helping him with some trovans/malware that infected his sytem. While going thru the Control Panel (or the Administrative tools, I don't remember which) I found a window for selecting the PC to boot into a different mode - like safe mode. I couldn't remember which F key gave you the boot menu at start up so I went ahead and selected for the system to boot to safe mode. Which it did. Understand I turned this on from WITHIN windows.

Now, since that time I found a reference to the boot menu being accessable with the F8 key. So, I rebooted the PC and hit the F8 key and selected for the PC to boot normally. It still booted to safe mode. Apparently the safe mode I selected is not part of the boot partition but the actual Windows parameters at boot up. I searched high and low for that area in Windows where I turned safe mode on. I tried searching for safe mode within HELP (after restarting the help services) but it only gives directions for booting into safe mode with the F8 key. And that took some time to understand because it was refering to different START menu selections that my START menu didn't even have.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Hopefully this made sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2010, 02:32 PM   #2
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Click Start > Run > type msconfig

In the System Configuration Utility got to the BOOT.INI tab

Is /SAFEBOOT selected there? If so you can uncheck it and the system should boot normally.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:50 PM   #3
Registered Member

I think I just found my answer. It only took about 18 searches on several search engines but I found this page https://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstr...msysconfig.htm which talks about setting Windows Safe Mode within the boot.ini and once changed you can only change it back in the boot.ini (what a pain, but now I know).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Glad you sorted it.
Closed Thread