Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Windows XP Hanging at 'Loading Personal Settings' Screen?

This is a discussion on Windows XP Hanging at 'Loading Personal Settings' Screen? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, recently, I downloaded a game software and it didn't work on my PC. So I tried a variety of

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 09:19 PM   #1

Hi, recently, I downloaded a game software and it didn't work on my PC. So I tried a variety of things suggested to me by people, downloading avast! Virus Cleaner and many other things. Eventually I ended up on my Task Manager's 'Process' tab and this is around when my problem started.

I started shutting off processes I didn't need, to see if maybe unneeded or infected processes were what was causing my problem with the game. Then, right after I shut off a process (I'm not sure which process precisely) I got an error message saying that I should save all my documents and shut down the computer. The message had a countdown (to shutting off the computer I presume) and otherwise, I didn't read though it thoroughly.

So I restarted my computer, and everything was fine and pretty much the same until I got to the log-on screen. There, I typed in my password, got in, and the screen just started hanging at 'Loading Your Personal Settings'.

I tried googling this many times, to no avail, I tried restarting in Safe Mode, shutting off again, Ctrl+Tab, Ctrl+Alt+Delete, so many I can't even think of them all. Nothing worked. I have the same problem in Safe Mode as well.

I think it's likely that either
1) I got a pop up after installing avast! Virus Protection asking me to restart the computer. At the time, I didn't restart. avast! might be killing my computer in some way...? I've heard about AVG doing this to a computer once...
2) The process I deleted offa the process menu was important. I think this is more likely.

Does anyone have any suggestions, advice, anything? I have no access to a Windows XP Disk so I can not format or reinstall. And as I said earlier Safe Mode doesn't work...I'm completely computer illiterate so I really don't know anything else I could do.

Help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread