Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Windows xp had BSOD. tried to reinstall windows, but it wont install correctly!?

This is a discussion on Windows xp had BSOD. tried to reinstall windows, but it wont install correctly!? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ok, so a few days ago I was on my computer and it started running a little slow so I

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 11:53 PM   #1

Ok, so a few days ago I was on my computer and it started running a little slow so I decided to restart. This is when all the trouble began... Following the reboot at the welcome screen i was greeted by several registry errors, and a message saying a backup copy of my registry had to be loaded. So I thought ok, why did this happen? So, I rebooted again to make sure every thing was still in check. After the second reboot(not sure if I can call it that) i didn't even get the welcome screen. Instead i got a quick flash of a BSOD stop error and that was it. So after overall reboots, I figured my computer had crashed and decided to do a clean install. I got my original cd free of scratches and formatted the hard drive completely. Then, when setup began to copy the files about 5 different files could not be copied. I tried to install windows AT-LEAST 10 times. I only got past the welcome screen twice and windows was completely crippled, even though it did manage to load. I tried reformatting, repairing the install, created a new partition and tried to install, and all have failed. The thing i find strange is that almost each time it would copy files some of the files would change. So, I am at a loss and don't know what to do or try next any help. I have a 40gb hd, 256 ram, pentium 4,Msi computer with an Aopen motherboard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2008, 02:18 AM   #2

Pity you reformatted, sometimes that BSOD stop code gives a little insight to a problem. Could have referenced to a hardware fault and somewhat ruled out a few possibilities.
I've also had this problem with files not transfering and I just bought another CD and it worked. It happens with Server 2003 too. The CD just suddenly stops working and thats it.
You could try cleaning your CD\DVD drives laser, but thats a bit of long shot really. (didn't help in my case)
Old 09-14-2008, 03:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal99 View Post
Pity you reformatted, sometimes that BSOD stop code gives a little insight to a problem. Could have referenced to a hardware fault and somewhat ruled out a few possibilities.
I've also had this problem with files not transfering and I just bought another CD and it worked. It happens with Server 2003 too. The CD just suddenly stops working and thats it.
You could try cleaning your CD\DVD drives laser, but thats a bit of long shot really. (didn't help in my case)
Hey It could be the CD/DVD drive failing too I wonder if Guy in need could swap out his CD/DVD drive with a known good drive (from another PC) and then try again. Also Check all your BIOS settings and see this handy little site to DL the tweaking companion -- > https://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html
There is a complete install guide contained in this download anything and everything you would ever want to know about installing and tuning XP its in there.
Parting shot is maybe the hard drive is failing?? Go to your hard drives website and download a diagnostic tool and copy to floppy to test the drive (hook drive to primary IDE controller set jumper too). Report your results back here.
Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2008, 04:48 AM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visitng Expert

Hello guy_in_need

Please check your RAM first.
You can put either of these free programs on a floppy and test the RAM. Let them run for hours to do many passes if you can

memtest86 https://www.memtest86.com/

Windows Memory Diagnostic https://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Memtest on CD
https://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/256/mirrors.php

Note
You are very short of RAM anyway. XP needs at least 512MB RAM to run properly.
If the RAM turns out to be bad, buy at least 512MB to replace it.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:21 AM   #5

All good places to start. i am going to start tying them out today.

Ps. I for got to mention that the two times i got to the welcome screen. Windows was wanting to check and verify disk. So could it be my hd maybe?
Old 09-14-2008, 12:19 PM   #6

well i am testing my ram and and it is failing every test on standard and extended modes so what now?
Old 09-14-2008, 02:22 PM   #7
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visitng Expert

I thought so.

Now you will have to buy new RAM. Check your documentation for which type to buy and get at least 512MB.

You could also take all your computer details to a shop and they should be able to fix you up.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:46 PM   #8

so is it both sticks of my ram or just one of them? should i test each one?
Old 09-14-2008, 04:51 PM   #9
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visitng Expert

Sorry, yes you will need to find out if it is just one or both of them.

Test them separately.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:05 PM   #10

ok i will test them, oh and i tried installing againg( no harm in tring) and i got stop error code 0x0000007b. if this helps confirm somthing.\

UPDATE
i tried testing the indevidual sticks of ram, but if i only had one in all i would get was bios beeps.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:24 PM   #11

well thanks for your help Dunedin, It is 100% a ram failure. so i will be getting more soon.

Thanks for your help,
Guy_in_need
Old 09-15-2008, 04:23 AM   #12
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visitng Expert

You are very welcome

Closed Thread