Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Windows XP

This is a discussion on Windows XP within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi Guys, I have Windows XP.....everything works fine......I bought a new HP printer about a year ago...and all was ok,

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 02:23 AM   #1
Registered Member

Angry

Hi Guys, I have Windows XP.....everything works fine......I bought a new HP printer about a year ago...and all was ok, until last week when it stopped working...it will do copies but will not print or scan from/thro' my PC...

After many days of trying various fixes, I contacted HP technical and they told me HP no longer support XP...the guy tried to assist me but no joy....is there anyone out there who knows any tricks....?

Bottom line appears to be, get newer PC or an older Printer...being a pensioner...I cannot afford.....

HELP....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2016, 07:37 AM   #2
Elite Commander

My System

Send a message via MSN to VividProfessional

hi what model of HP printer it is you have?
Old 12-02-2016, 10:00 AM   #3
Registered Member

I suspect the problem is that XP Drivers aren't available for this printer, so check with HP as to what operating systems they support it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2016, 01:44 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

As has been said, we need to know the model# of your HP Printer, to see if there is an XP driver available.
Just to let you know, your computer can probably be upgraded to Windows 7 if you like
Download the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...ils.aspx?id=20
Old 12-02-2016, 10:14 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

XP is no longer supported by many. As spunk.funk has recommended, you should upgrade to W7 if your computer's hardware/requirements meet the minimum specs to upgrade.

Also, post the model number of the HP printer so we can assist you further.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:33 AM   #6
Registered Member

Hi Guys thanx for replying....my newish HP printer is an Ink Advantage 3 in one Deskjet 1510 series................it worked fine for months, maybe only 3/4 copies per week...then as I said, wont print off my XP Pro 32 bit PC anymore. It will do foto copies buts thats it...I just thought U fundis would know a few tricks to get my Printer up and running again...I cannot afford to upgrade and my 32 bit XP will not manage an upgraded d/load to Windows 7, 8, 10..etc...

thanx Guys..... Mossymanrsauk in South Africa.....
Old 12-05-2016, 07:09 AM   #7
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Did you read through HP's info on printing problems Fixing Print Quality Problems for the HP Deskjet 1510 and Deskjet Ink Advantage 1510 Printer Series | HP Customer Support
It covers XP as well.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:42 AM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Download the XP Driver from the HP drivers site HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP Customer Support
Old 12-05-2016, 12:00 PM   #9
AVB
TSF Enthusiast

spunk.funk has it as I was still running Xp until last month and I even able to print the 1510 here over the internal net here. Never had a problem running or using the HP 1510 here. The reinstallation should fix your problem.

Just had to upgrade things as my state sales tx website would no longer worked with the XP system.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:06 PM   #10
Registered Member

Ok, thanx, I haven't tried to re install so may as well try that tomorrow....I have the CD still but do U think I should install from that link U sent me spunk.funk...?

cheers, almost bed time here in SA...22:10...
Old 12-05-2016, 12:10 PM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

The download will be the most recent driver, which may be newer then the CD.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:43 PM   #12
Registered Member

Hi Guys, I had tried to d/load drivers for my PC to be able to run my printer but I still tried your link....unfortunately it told me "sorry cannot d/load drivers to the operating system on my PC" so I'm back to where I started guys.....as I said earlier I was hoping the fundis out there would have a trick or two I could try which is out of the normal 'modus operande'

Any further ideas...?
Old 12-06-2016, 02:17 AM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

The easiest trick is to reinstall the driver, until that is tried, no other tricks will be available
Quote:
sorry cannot d/load drivers to the operating system on my PC
Are you logged in as an Administrator user? Are you downloading the XP Driver from link I sent you? What browser are you using? (ie) IE, Firefox, Chrome? Did you try a different browser? Where do you see this message? Did you try your Printer driver CD?
Old 12-06-2016, 04:50 AM   #14
Registered Member

Thanx again guys....

I am not an administrator, is my own personal Desktop PC.

I did try yr link.......said my system is incompatible.

The msg just was on the screen, sorry not sure exactly where.

I tried Chrome, I have Firefox but did not try it.

I have the CD but haven't tried yet as I wanted to see if U guys had better ideas and I may lose it all if I uninstall.

Have been out most of the day....will wait yr comments B4 I uninstall or try Firefox...thanx again guys...
Old 12-06-2016, 11:28 AM   #15
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
I am not an administrator,
When Windows XP is installed, at least one user on the computer is an Administrator user, if you are the only person, then you are an Administrator user. You must be logged in as an Administrator user to install any software. Go to Control Panel/User Accounts to see if you are an Administrator user or not. Also, right click My Computer and choose Properties. In the System Properties window what Service Pack do you have? You should have SP3. If you have XP SP3 the printer driver download that I linked, should work for you. Be sure to select what version of Windows you are using in the download window.
You do not have to uninstall the HP software that you have now. Unplug the USB cable from the computer end and run the CD. It will tell you when to plug in the USB cable during the install.