Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Windows Update not working - missing from services

This is a discussion on Windows Update not working - missing from services within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys, so I've been desperately trying to solve this problem for a while and no luck yet. Windows Update

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey guys, so I've been desperately trying to solve this problem for a while and no luck yet. Windows Update is just refusing to work on my XP, but I guess the problem is quite complicated since I couldn't find a solution yet.
- There are technically 6 updates that won't install with Windows Update Agent, but it won't even show others. They download alright, but they just won't install.
- Alternatively I tried using the update site of microsoft, seems like I can install other updates that way, not these ones though.
- The problem doesn't seem to be in any connection with these updates, because the wuauserv is also missing from the services.msc list. I have it in the registry though.
- I tried re-registrating and re-installing practically everything connected to windows update, but I just can't get it working.
- Scanned the computer with avast, both normally and in boot-time, found nothing.
I have actually no idea what should I do next, or where to look for the source of this problem.
I would really appreciate any help :)) Thanks :))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi and welcome to TSF did you try this How do I reset Windows Update components?

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
Registered Member

Update to the issue: previously the microsoft update site worked fine but by now it's not working either. I guess I killed it trying to fix the updates, yay, now I get the error code 0x8007041D. It's getting even better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
Registered Member

Yeah.. the fixit says it can't solve the windows update problems and when I try to do it manually I can't even do the first "net stop bits % wuauserv" step.. command line says it can't find the commands or files (I don't know what would it exactly say in English).
Thanks for the quick reply by the way :)
Old 09-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #5
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi try installing this https://download.windowsupdate.com/Wi...gent30-x86.exe

Old 09-29-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
Registered Member

I've already tried.. earlier it didn't have any effects, even with wuforce, now I still get the error code 0x8007041d :/
Old 09-29-2012, 04:09 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

I came across these manual cmds which have been superceded by this MS auto-Fixit you could try You cannot install some updates or programs

CAUSE
These issues may indicate that a component of Windows XP that processes digital signatures is damaged.

RESOLUTION
Re-register the Softpub.dll, Wintrust.dll,
Initpki.dll, Dssenh.dll, Rsaenh.dll, Gpkcsp.dll, Sccbase.dll, Slbcsp.dll,
Mssip32.dll, and Cryptdlg.dll files. To do so, follow these steps: 1. Click
Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
3. At the command prompt, type regsvr32 softpub.dll, and then press ENTER.
4. Click OK when you receive the message that DllRegisterServer in
Softpub.dll succeeded.
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 for the following files: Wintrust.dll,
Initpki.dll, Dssenh.dll, Rsaenh.dll, Gpkcsp.dll, Sccbase.dll, Slbcsp.dll,
Mssip32.dll, and Cryptdlg.dll.
6. Type exit, and then press ENTER to quit Command Prompt.

I also found an older MS article regarding error code 0x8007041d which at the time, related to Eset NOD32 but may now be equally applicable to any AV You receive a "0x8007041D" error when you visit the Windows Update Web site

With this in mind, have tried downloading them individually from MS in Safe Mode with Networking ?
Old 09-30-2012, 03:49 AM   #8
Registered Member

Yeah, well there is the next problem actually, because for a while I can't seem to be able to run batch files. So if I run the command regsvr32 the command line says that it's not even a command so it can't run it (so basically a "not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file" message). There are quite a lot of things not working on my pc nowadays ^^
Anyway, I tried registrating those files directly running the regsvr32.exe, seemed to go well. After that I tried to re-register the windows update dll-s, it went well except for the mshtml.dll and wuauserv.dll.
At the moment I can't get any windows update working anyway. When I try to start automatic updates in services, I also get the error 127.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:06 AM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

Probably worth running a sfc /scannow.

In Win 7 this cmd is entered as an Administrator from the cmd prompt, but read this article to successfully run it in XP scannow sfc - LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker)
Old 09-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #10
Registered Member

Ok.. so now I'm almost down to one problem.. I ran sfc, according to my event log nothing changed.. But somehow I got the command line working right again, so I re-registrated the listed files.
Still getting the error code 0x8007041d when I try installing windows update or update agent though.
Tried to run fixit but it couldn't fix it. Reported that some components are missing.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #11
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi try running a repair from your install or recovery disc Repair Install - Windows 7 Forums

Old 09-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

Came across this article for error code 127 and while it's listed as Support for MS, I'm not sure if it will lead to one of those "pay for fix" thingies but you could always create a restore point before running the links Error 127 - Error Code 0x7F Fix & Repair

The error code 0x8007041d still relates to an AV conflict so attempting the updates in Safe Mode with Networking could be a workaround to that, but as you have "reported" components missing after the Fixit, do you have a XP CD you can boot up with and re-run the sfc /scannow, or did it give you the option to insert one when running the file check earlier ?
Old 09-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeten View Post
Hi try running a repair from your install or recovery disc Repair Install - Windows 7 Forums
The problem is on a XP machine, joeten - but it may come to an equivalent fix.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #14
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Wrong link posted above post 10 Repair Windows XP by Performing a Repair Install (Part 1 of 2)

Old 09-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #15
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Got it thanks

Old 11-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #16
Registered Member

Hey, sorry for the overly late reaction. (Actually the pc we were talking about belongs to my sister now and I haven't seen it for a while... so yes. Also I couldn't find the cd.) However finally I ran a repair installation, seemed to work fine but in the end nothing changed. I hope my last option isn't to reinstall the whole os...
Old 11-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #17
TSF Enthusiast

You can create an install disk from either of these links, depending on the OS version, but with the Windows Security updates out of date - the computer could be vunerable - and what has your sister done to you to give her a buggy computer

XP 32bit Download Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File from Official Microsoft Download Center

XP 64bit Download: Service Pack 2 for Windows XP Professional, x64 Edition - ISO-9660 CD Image File - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details
Old 11-26-2012, 05:02 AM   #18
Registered Member

well.. even after doing the repair instal and reinstalling sp3.. no changes. i still can't install the windows update software or the windows update agent. still getting error code 0x8007041D. and it's not that buggy.. everything is fine now except for the updates xD
Old 11-26-2012, 10:34 AM   #19
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi see if the suggestions here can help one is for the registry which may be all I can think of for now Windows Update Error code: 0x8007041D - Microsoft Community
if you decide to try that please make a back up of the registry before starting

Old 11-27-2012, 08:11 AM   #20
Registered Member

ok... so i've run chkdsk... still nothing ^^
Closed Thread