Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Windows Loading error after failed install of SystemWorks (Boot Error)

This is a discussion on Windows Loading error after failed install of SystemWorks (Boot Error) within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys Quick summary, the installation of Norton SystemWorks froze on my comp when i was instaling it, so i

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 03:59 PM   #1

Hey guys

Quick summary, the installation of Norton SystemWorks froze on my comp when i was instaling it, so i cancelled it and pretty much forgot about it. When i rebooted a few days later Windows wouldnt load.

I did some reading (correct me if i'm wrong) and i found out it was becasue of Norton GoBack ( i didnt even want it on my system in teh first place). It alters your boot files and i'm guessing when it froze it was in the prosses of changing those files.

So far i've tried everthing I could and had no luck fixing it.
I tried the NOrton fix (A file that unInstalles go back from dos) but it didnt work since the installation was not complete in the first place.

I tried plugging it onto another system as a Slave but it doesnt even show up : /

Heres the big problem i ran into;
I cant seem to get in teh partitions on my HD ( View or enter, there were 4 of them on this HD).Is there any proggy you guys would recomend to get into NSFT partitions from dos?
Also I tired this a prog off of bootdisk.com called xpquik ( it's suppose to be for reseting boot records for boot errors) and it came back with a missing file called hal.dll
I wanted to copy that file back into the dir but i cant seem to get into drive C:

SO
If you guys know how i could get into the C: partition and copy hal.dll file from a floppy or RE-fresh the XP install i have, with out formatting the C: drive or if there is no other way; format JUST the C: drive and do a clean install. Or if you know any other way or anyhting else i could try.

It's a big 200gig HD, and theres stuff on it that I really need for school so I would really really prefer not formating the whole thing.

If anyhting is unclear, pls let me know and i'll try to explain better if I can.
Thx for your time and help in advance
D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2005, 05:44 PM   #2

https://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

You should probably start off with the simple method of booting to the recovery console (see the above for instructions to enter the recovery console) and running the commands fixboot and fixmbr.
https://www.michaelstevenstech.com/r_c_cmds.htm
Old 12-15-2005, 06:35 PM   #3

heres NTFS for DOS,
https://www.datapol.de/dpe/recovery/ntfs/index.html

but why not just boot DOS from the XP installer disk?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2005, 09:53 PM   #4

I've tried NTFS for DOS before and it said cant find partition; also couldnt access them though the Xp cdboot method ither.
I'mma try the fixmbr; hopefully the partitions will remain intact.

*edit
Could the issue of not bieng able to see the drive as slave or master be a result of a corropt Boot files or is it another issue?

ty for the help guys
Old 12-15-2005, 10:05 PM   #5

This article from Symantec may help you.

GoBack alters the boot record, much like Overlay software (allows access to drives larger than the BIOS can understand). A truly bad product, IMHO, as it makes it tough to recover from.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy
This article from Symantec may help you.

GoBack alters the boot record, much like Overlay software (allows access to drives larger than the BIOS can understand). A truly bad product, IMHO, as it makes it tough to recover from.
Quote:
So far i've tried everthing I could and had no luck fixing it.
I tried the NOrton fix (A file that unInstalles go back from dos) but it didnt work since the installation was not complete in the first place.
Basicaly it sais Goback was detected and after it performs a scan a msg comes up saying it could not locate it therefore cant fix the problem. (a file called goback.bin i think). I cant belive norton would make program like this.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:21 AM   #7

Since you can't get back in using the XP CD, I'd suggest perhaps using a version of Linux Live that can read NTFS, if there is one out there, as it's free and would hopefully allow you to delete your boot files without damaging any of your other files.

Took a bit, but I found what you might use. It's called INSERT, and all you do is burn the iso to a cd, and stick it in the computer, let it boot up to the CD, and you should be able to change your files. Hopefully. If it doesn't work, hey, it didn't cost you anything.

Download page for insert:
https://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=99853

EDIT: You do have your BIOS set to boot CDROM before Hard-Drive, right?

--Whitestar90
Old 12-17-2005, 12:39 PM   #8

Awesome Idea
I booted to the linux cd (on in right now) but i can't seem to figure out how to access those files. I ran testdisk and it does see the partition but i cant seem to figure out how to actually access them and delete the boot files to get rid of GoBack (then i can set it as slave on a diff comp and go from there).

I'm not really familiar with the utils on this cd so if you know how i could access teh partition(the files on the partitions) or where i can get more info it would be very helpfull

thx again
d.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:19 AM   #9

Insert apparently uses Fluxbox as it's shell, which is a bit different than the normal thing Windows users are used to.

This would now be a very good question to take up in the linux forum here, asking how to operate your way through Fluxbox.

Using Insert, it should give you full access to the hard drives, to read, write and alter as you wish, at least so far as I have read. I'll be testing it out myself later today, when I can burn it to a CD (have to go to work for that, no blank CDs here)

For now, as I said, take the question to the Linux forum, and paly around with it till you figure it out, and I'll be back to help you with this in a day or so, if you haven't gotten anywhere, after I've had some time to fool with it myself.

--Whitestar90
Old 12-18-2005, 03:27 PM   #10

Hey

I was going ot post one yesterday but i ran out of time, here a link to the post in the LInux forum.

Let me know if had any luck with the proggy
thx
D.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:40 PM   #11

I'll be testing it out in the next few hours, and I'll get back to you after that, hopefully others here more knowledgable in Linux will be able to help you.

--Whitestar90
Old 12-28-2005, 11:30 PM   #12

Hey guys

I'm back at it again, I got an external hard drive and Iím going to try to transfer the files using a recovery tool. Someone suggested File Scavenger earlier in the post, I was wondering if anyone else knew any others that would be specific to my situation.

Thx
D.
Closed Thread