Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Windows Is Indecisive...Again

This is a discussion on Windows Is Indecisive...Again within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Dell Dimension 9100 XP SP3 With the exception of a recently purchased 2TB Ext HDD (which I haven't opened yet)

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 04:51 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

Dell Dimension 9100 XP SP3

With the exception of a recently purchased 2TB Ext HDD (which I haven't opened yet) there is something wrong with every computer, ever hard drive, every external HDD, I own.

Out of desperation (with my luck, the new HDD will be defective), I decided to put some of my most important data on DVD-RW. I tried to copy data from a 500GB MyBook to a new, Verbatim, DVD-RW disk in a new Sony DVD-RW drive. No go.

Next, I tried to copy data to a new, Verbatim DVD-RW disk in the DVD-RW drive in the Dell Dimension XP to which the MyBook is attached. No go. With both drives, I get errors. First ,Windows says I have files waiting to be written to the CD. Then, the Wizard wants me to insert a CD. Plus, I get three other errors about wrong CD, incompatibility, can't access, etc.

Here's the clincher, when I have DVD-RW disks in the drives, Windows says they are CD drives. When I remove the disks, Windows says they are DVD-RW drives. What is going on?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	op drives 1.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	266170   Click image for larger version

Name:	op drives 2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	266178  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2015, 06:30 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

DVD-RW discs are harder to work with, they must be formatted first if you have tried to burn to them previously. They also must be Finalized before they are ejected or they will not be able to be read on any other computer. Not every brand of Optical drive recognizes every brand of Blank. You may need to update the Firmware on the DVD-RW drive to recognize your discs.
If you have tried to burn and failed to a DVDRW disc, then with the disc in, Right click
the Drive in Computer, and choose Format or Erase this Disc Remember, after you are done burning to a DVDRW disc, you must right click it and choose Close Session. You can leave it open if your going to add more files later.
Close or finalize a CD or DVD - Windows Help
I suggest DVD-R discs. Sony is a great brand, Verbatim, TDK etc. Stay away from Generic brands.
DVD-R discs do not need to be Formatted, or Finalized. They are only Burn once media. You can add more files later, if there is space, but you cannot remove any files or reuse the discs for other files.
You may find it easier to work with a 3rd party program like the free CD Burner XP. Don't let the name fool you, this free program works in all versions of Windows including Windows 7, 8, and 10
Old 12-16-2015, 07:09 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

When I right click on either drive, the one in the XP or the external Sony, neither gives the option to erase or format. I formatted these brand new disks with IMGBurn because of that.

The reason I was going to use RW disks was to save R disks (because you often get a bad burn). My intent was to get a healthy copy on the RW and then copy that to a R, then erase the RW and use it again to make sure I had a good copy to copy to R....and so on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2015, 07:15 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

PS

The Sony Drive and the disk inside was recognized by IMGBurn. The only reason I didn't use IMGBurn to back up the files to a DVD disk was because IMGBurn wont treat the DVD as an open folder to which I can add or subtract files as needed.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:18 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

IMGBurn is automatically Finalizing the disc.
As previously stated, if you don't Finalize the disc, it will look like it is blank in any other computer.
Quote:
The reason I was going to use RW disks was to save R disks (because you often get a bad burn). My intent was to get a healthy copy on the RW and then copy that to a R, then erase the RW and use it again to make sure I had a good copy to copy to R....and so on.
This seems like a lot of work. But try other burning software like suggested.
You may consider getting a working USB HDD and back that up to the Cloud, like Microsoft OneDrive or Google Drive