Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Windows File Protection Error

This is a discussion on Windows File Protection Error within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, When i start the Windows XP SP3 the following error message popup in start up screen. Windows File Protection

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 09:16 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

When i start the Windows XP SP3 the following error message popup in start up screen.

Windows File Protection
Please wait while windows verifies that all protected windows files are intact

Windows File Protection
Files that are required for windows to run properly must be copied to the dll cache

I run the chkdsk, problem is not resolved.

And then run

SFC /SCANNOW, that ask the Win xp CD. i put the CD, all process are completed. After Restart PC same Error Message occurred.

Please help to resolve this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2016, 01:59 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

To work around this problem, make sure that the Windows installation CD is available when you run the sfc.exe /scannow command, and then click Cancel every time that you receive an error message. The System File Checker utility will successfully complete the scan operation.

Note If no Windows installation CD is available, you may have to cancel the error message many times. In this scenario, you may want to cancel the whole operation. To do this, follow these steps:
  1. Drag the Windows File Protection dialog box to another location on the desktop.

Note After you move the Windows File Protection dialog box, you will see a second Windows File Protection dialog box. This second Windows File Protection dialog box contains the following message: Please wait while Windows verifies that all protected Windows files are intact and in their original versions.
  2. Click Cancel in the second Windows File Protection dialog box.
  3. Click Cancel in the first Windows File Protection dialog box, and then click Yes
You can also, put the XP CD in, and copy the i386 folder to the root of the C: drive.

Now go to Start/Run and type regedit and press enter.

In the Registry Editor look for a string value called SourcePath at the following registry locations:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries here on the right hand side. The one we want is called:

SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, and that is why it is asking for the XP CD. All we need to do is change it to:

C:\

Simply double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up allowing you to make the change.

Now restart your computer and try scannow sfc again!