Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows Explorer (nor IE Explorer) is balky

830 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  OldGrayGary 
#1 ·
I've had a chronic problem with Windows Explorer when I try to work with folders and files (slow to open files and folders, move, copy or otherwise use files and folders), also when I try to download something it takes excessively long to find the folder in which I want to put it. But after the first download after booting up, it doesn't hesitate on subsequent downloads. Opening files or programs from desktop icons also seem to take excessively long.

I looked on the Internet for advice about this when the problem first started several months ago and a consensus of opinion was that somehow my explorer.exe was corrupted. Then I found this on Web site:

Corrupted explorer.exe file fix:

Make a copy of explorer.exe in the same file it's located (usually C:\WINDOWS). Rename it (i.e. explorer2.exe)

Now go to START>RUN and type "regedit". ENTER

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Find the sub named "shell". Double click on it and rename the explorer.exe to whatever you renamed the copy.

I tried this when the problem first surfaced a few months ago and it did help a little. Now my system is back to its sluggishness. I tried this method again, but this time it didn't help.

I did a file search for explorer.exe and found it (same file size and date stamp) besides in C:\WINDOWS, it's in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 and also C\WINDOWS\Software Distribution\Download

Should I also rename the explorer.exe in the other locations also? Or any other suggestions about the slowness of working with files and folders and initial downloads?

If it's any help, I already did a virus scan with CA antivirus, malware scans with SpyBot and CA Spyware scanner, and ran CCleaner and ATF Claeaner. Nothing malicious was found on the scans. Doing a defrag didn't improve anything. The only icons in my Systray are the volume, the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon and my CA Security Suite icon. I have a HP desktop using Windows XP home ed as the OS. It has a 1.6 GHz Pentium 4 processor and 768 MB RAM. There's plenty of unused space on the HD. Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi debodun

Just to triple-check the malware side of things, also download the free version of MalwareBytes Antimalware, let it install & update itself - then run a full system scan (the free version only runs when you ask it to, so it shouldn't conflict with your installed antivirus). Here's a link --- http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?tag=mncol

You could also download and run RootkitRevealer to check for rootkits --- http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897445.aspx

I think you might have some luck with a run of Windows File Protection. It shouldn't hurt to try.
1) Click on the Windows Start button.
2) Click on Run
3) Type in sfc /scannow
4) If prompted, provide your Windows XP installation disk. If you don't have a Windows disk & see a prompt to instert one, see the details of a workaround for that in Marc Lion's article --- http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

If you are behind on installing your Windows Service Packs, by all means install Service Pack 3. Get up to date on any other Windows Updates as well.

Other tips from a few older XP threads on the net:

1) "Make sure there are no cds in the cdrom drive --- when a cd does not burn too well, Windows kept on checking it everytime any file open dialog would come up."
2) "Try running diagnostics for the hard drive. Perhaps also try chkdsk /f on your hard drive - in case a drive is beginning to fail."
3) "Compressed files (zip,cab etc.) in the root of the drive you are accessing with explorer will cause a delay."
4) "Similar problem - right clicking on root of drive in windows explorer or opening folder to save a file would take a long time. Problem was due to having mounted a virtual drive (I used Alcohol 120% but other applications that allow for virtual drives cause the same problem) and having subsequently deleted the image the virtual drive was pointing to. Solution was to demount the drive. Problem gone."
5) Network Link to missing item --- http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/113495-45-windows-explorer-slow

I've actually seen tip #5 work. We discovered this behavior on a PC in the medical lab where I worked for ages and ages.

Best of luck
. . . Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.