Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Window Installer window briefly pops up

This is a discussion on Window Installer window briefly pops up within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, When using MS Outlook or firing up IE, the "Windows Installer" window briefly pops up, sometimes flickering (as if

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 06:24 AM   #1

Angry

Hello,
When using MS Outlook or firing up IE, the "Windows Installer" window briefly pops up, sometimes flickering (as if multiple closings and openings are occuring), stating "Preparing to install ... ". Then the box goes away.

From what I can tell, nothing has installed.

In MS Outlook, this behavior always occurs when I am opening an email. In IE it only happens when I fire up Internet Explorer.

The only thing that has changed on my system prior to noticing this behavior is that I have installed the most recent versions of BlackBerry Desktop Manager and BlackBerry Device Mananger.

Thank You In Advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2006, 12:24 AM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visiting Expert

OS: Windows 98se/2000/XP/Vista/7/8 Pro/10 Pro/10 "Insider" / Linux(various)

Hi Machine13705

It's possible that the blackberry installations tweaked a Registry setting, or didn't complete their installations elegantly.

I'd probably try the blackberry installation again as a first try. Then try running a Registry Cleaner such as CCleaner (in case loose ends are causing trouble --- https://www.download.com/CCleaner/300...ml?tag=lst-0-1 --- the "Issues" section of CCleaner is the one that helps clear up Registry oddballs).

If that doesn't help, for the Outlook behavior you can try Microsoft's suggested repair (in case it's the tweaked-Office Registry setting --- their quick-fix is a "Language version tool" that you can download and try, and they have two other possible repairs as well) https://support.microsoft.com/kb/265194

And, since you are running Windows XP -- you can always try the System Restore tool, using a restore point from just before you first installed the blackberry updates & the trouble started. You might have to reinstall the blackberry update again after this (but you might not! - it depends on where the settings are that were changed).

Last -- anytime you have unusual behavior from your system, it's a good idea to run some malware scans. Use the "thorough" or "High" settings.

Best of luck
. . . Gary

. . . And --- Welcome to the Tech Support Forums!
Old 10-10-2006, 04:09 PM   #3

Good Advise,
I'm in the process of waiting for new BlackBerry software to arrive (long story).
So, I tried the CCleaner. Great program, found a ton of "Issues". I repaired them and I'm still having the problem.
Before I try the MS Knowledge Base remedy you suggested, I'm going to wait until my BlackBerry software shows up and I do a re-install of it.

I've also noticed the behavior only associated with "Explorer" programs. IE (not Firefox), Outlook (not Word or Excel), Windows Explorer, etc.

I'll post again after I re-install BlackBerry software

:)
Closed Thread