Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Win Xp won't boot

This is a discussion on Win Xp won't boot within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Running LENOVO PC on XP the last leg before i buy new PC...wont boot even after F8 and trying last

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 06:34 AM   #1
Registered Member

Running LENOVO PC on XP the last leg before i buy new PC...wont boot even after F8 and trying last known config or safe boot options etc...keeps showing MS logo and then keeps looping back to ADVANCED SETTING OPTIONS IN F8.
I did get error messages saying that
"unmountable_boot_volume and another one later that said,
"Syatem32/DRIVERS/pci.SYS telling me following was corrupt or missing,it then suggested that i could attempt repair of file by inserting original CDROM boot up disc and selecting "R",
Here"s problem.I no longer have the boot up discs or original XP install discs,
What can i do? Do i need boot up disc? I'm attempting to get hold of one from a friend, Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2019, 08:27 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Create a Windows 7 Repair Disc (would be nice if you already have one) from another computer. Now you should be able to run the repair option.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:29 AM   #3
Registered Member

actually i have WIN 7 boot disc. How do i proceed? ok im doing f12 and booting from cdrom lets see hat happens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2019, 11:56 AM   #4
Registered Member

ok win 7 recovery disk did its thing and booted up but got blue screen telling me still there is problem stop n0x0000000f4( something about disabling bios memory and shadowing/caching. But it did boot up to startup screen but it loaded everything and mouse froze and then blu screen appeared
and error message system 32\drivers\pci.sys appears saying file is corrupted or missing.So back to square one.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:32 PM   #5
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Question: Why are we getting OP to use windows 7 disc to repair a PC with windows XP?
Old 10-24-2019, 01:47 PM   #6
Registered Member

yeah good question...thats what i was thinking.it did manage to boot up however as it was loading my system tray and MAMB it bluescreened and system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys error message appears constantly saying file is either missing o his file by startingr corrupt. It then says an attempt to repair this file by using Windows Setup usinf original CDROM select "r" at first screen to start repair,
However when i press any key to exit from this screen it reverts back to this screen again....
Old 10-24-2019, 02:04 PM   #7
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

I looked at OPs OS instead of the title. I assume you have a floppy drive on an XP machine.
From Neosmart:
Quote:
Boot into Windows XP
Insert the diskette in the floppy disk
Go to My Computer
Right-click on the floppy disk drive. This is usually the A:\ drive.
Click Format
Check the Create an MS-DOS startup disk option at the Format options section
Click Start
Wait for the process to finish
Once itís completed, safely remove the diskette for the floppy disk
You could also make this from another XP machine.

Old 10-24-2019, 02:29 PM   #8
Registered Member

i do have floppy disc on XP but liki i indicate above...thats what i was thinking.it did manage to boot up however as it was loading my system tray and MAMB it bluescreened and system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys error message appears constantly saying file is either missing o his file by startingr corrupt. It then says an attempt to repair this file by using Windows Setup usinf original CDROM select "r" at first screen to start repair,
However when i press any key to exit from this screen it reverts back to this screen again....
Old 10-24-2019, 03:55 PM   #9
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

Hate to do this because sometimes crapwear comes with the download, but since you have a key, download XP SP3 here: https://download.cnet.com/Microsoft-...3_4-20432.html
Unfortunately Microsoft took away it's download URL for XP.

Old 10-24-2019, 06:06 PM   #10
Registered Member

i cant boot up and i just got hold of win xp boot disc but when i go to F12 and select boot from CDROM it brings me right back in circular fashion to
"Windows could not startbecause the following file is missing or corrupt:
system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys
it doesnt seem to allow me to choose any of the options like safe mode with command prompt or any of the others, it immediately restarts and this screen keeps coming up with the error message
it doesnt seem to be able to read the bootup disc from the cdrom when i tell it to bootup from there,stragely enough with Win 7 boot up i was able to boot up but that also didnt last long as it bluescreened and tol me this file i mentioned,system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys prevents windows from starting
Old 10-24-2019, 07:33 PM   #11
Registered Member

ok i got into windows setup blue screen at bottom it shows it is loading drivers,adaptors etc....this is econd time ive done this as first attempt resulted in bringing me back to screen tht says system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys prevents windows from starting now it tells me setup failed because file hpn.sys caused unexpected error (32768) at line 3540 in d:\xpsp\base\boot\setup.c.
Press any key to continue
Old 10-24-2019, 07:40 PM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys prevents windows from starting now it tells me setup failed because file hpn.sys caused unexpected error (32768) at line 3540 in d:\xpsp\base\boot\setup.c.
This indicates that your HDD is failing, and needs to be replaced.
If you replace it with a known good HDD and still have the same error, then you have bad install media
Old 10-24-2019, 08:02 PM   #13
Registered Member

three times i have arrived at WinSetup screen at bottom it is loading everything but now i just got error message >>File setup.sys could not be loaded.error code is 14 Setup cant continue press any key to exit
Old 10-24-2019, 08:07 PM   #14
Registered Member

ok so it is HD then ok guys many thanks
Old 10-24-2019, 08:23 PM   #15
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Quote:
i just got hold of win xp boot disc
Where did you get it from?
Old 10-25-2019, 06:11 AM   #16
Registered Member

my friend who works in computer department had old Win Xp boot disc,he saves everything.it must work cos it got me to Win Setup screen and everything was loading fine until i got >system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys prevents windows from starting now it tells me setup failed because file hpn.sys caused unexpected error (32768) at line 3540 in d:\xpsp\base\boot\setup.c.< and finally> File setup.sys could not be loaded.error code is 14 Setup cant continue press any key to exit
So it is definitely the HD failing then right as Spunk Funk indicates above?
Old 10-25-2019, 09:53 AM   #17
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

It probably is your XP Install media, now that I think of it.
Why do you want to install XP? You can find XP CD's on Ebay and such. I suggest installing XP in a Virtual Machine on a Windows 10 computer rather then trying to revive an older computer.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:02 AM   #18
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalster View Post
my friend who works in computer department had old Win Xp boot disc,he saves everything.it must work cos it got me to Win Setup screen and everything was loading fine until i got >system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys prevents windows from starting now it tells me setup failed because file hpn.sys caused unexpected error (32768) at line 3540 in d:\xpsp\base\boot\setup.c.< and finally> File setup.sys could not be loaded.error code is 14 Setup cant continue press any key to exit
So it is definitely the HD failing then right as Spunk Funk indicates above?
Getting to the setup screen does not necessarily mean the media is good. Discs that old are possibly scratched and no longer suitable for OS repair/installation. Failure to read a single file from it often results in setup failing. I strongly recommend downloading XP and burning a fresh disc that you're sure is not scratched. Alternatively, you can try copying the contents of the old borrowed disc to a new folder. If all of its contents copy over just fine, then you can use them to burn a new bootable disc. Alternatively, you can just create an image of the old disc and burn it to a fresh blank disc. If the image creation process fails to read from the old disc, then it's unsuitable and a fresh image should just be downloaded and burned to cd.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:24 PM   #19
Registered Member

i wanted to have one last fling with XP cos i loved it:) Just retreive couple of items and then say goodbye and shut her down:( More of a sentimental attachment.
What i have is Win XPPro W/SP3 32-bit, at least that's what's written on disc.I just checked and it is install disc for sure.After Win 98 u dont need separate boot disk and install CD.
I'm international chess master so i.m looking for desktop or powerful laptop with tons of RAM and 4 quad cores I7 that is upgradeable. I dont know if laptop will overheat as i need it to crunch long lines of analysis so debating which way to go; laptop or PC.
Anyhow the XP i had since 2005-6 can u believe? It was like a cadillac,extreemly reliable OS and I'll miss it, Thx guys for your help
PS I managed just now to have disk repair XP installation and setup is doing just that as setup says it is copying files... this is furthest i have ever got...i will keep u posted...
Old 10-25-2019, 12:59 PM   #20
Registered Member

file isapnp.sys caused unexpected error 32768 at line 5964 in d:\xpsp\base\boot\setup\setup.c.
so no dice setup failed.
Closed Thread