Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Win XP MS Patch for recent ransomware

This is a discussion on Win XP MS Patch for recent ransomware within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ok i heard that there is or may be a patch for the recent ransomware that has gone world-wide.Is this

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 09:24 AM   #1
Registered Member

Ok i heard that there is or may be a patch for the recent ransomware that has gone world-wide.Is this true or not.I am still running Win XP for another couple of months and moving on to Win 10.Until then i wanted to know if i can get that patch to protect me. I have Premium version of MAMB installed,but unfortuantely the tab for ransomware protection is not supported on Win XP users(Icontacted then on that) I also running AVAST a/v.Still i know this may not be enough,but until i purchase my new PC does anyone know how i can get that patch?
I heard that it was being provided for Win XP users but only privately,like the hospitals in the UK being hit. I also heard that the actual patch may stop XP from actually working.This is MS's attempt to force XP users to upgrade to Win 10,so they deliberately did this.
Anyone can help with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2017, 09:53 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Microsoft didn't forget about you: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/...crypt-attacks/ only if you purchased "custom support".

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:20 AM   #3
Registered Member

Not sure about what you mean re;purchasing custom support"? The Lenovo PC came bundled with XP,bu that was years ago. Is there a place i can go and get the patch specifically?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2017, 11:26 AM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

I'm not aware of it. When support ended for XP an extended, paid custom support option was offered, primarily with business users in mind. The main entry point is via malicious files which users download by mistake so if you're careful you should be OK.

Old 05-14-2017, 11:49 AM   #5
Registered Member

i'm a home user not a business one but considering all the money Bill Gates has made and the fact that they are supplying a fix or patch to those business users of Win XP, you would think that the few (like myself) who are about to make the transition from XP to Win 10(when i buy my PC this summer,only a few months away) you would think, that MS would be somewhat charitable and extend the protection to non custom support folks,no? I know MS isn't in the business of charity,but these hackers are after all of us. Maybe i'm being naive but after all i will be spending more money with MS shortly.I just thought it might be a good-will gesture on their part to make XP hangers-on a part of this protection.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:10 PM   #6
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

MS phone numbers are for general use. They don't have a complaint dept. per se.

Old 05-14-2017, 01:18 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

The easiest way top protect yourself is not to open unknown emails and/or click unknown links in emails.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:30 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

OS: WIN7 ULTIMATE - 64 bit (SP1), FIREFOX, ASUS G75 'ROG' laptop(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confounded Also View Post
The easiest way top protect yourself is not to open unknown emails and/or click unknown links in emails.

Two acquaintances of mine got it (on un-patched XP) from a Facebook link. Be VERY careful. They are definitely "crying" now....

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

"Remember - HARDWARE is the part of the computer that can be KICKED!" - WIZMO
Old 05-14-2017, 04:04 PM   #9
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalster View Post
i'm a home user not a business one but considering all the money Bill Gates has made and the fact that they are supplying a fix or patch to those business users of Win XP, you would think that the few (like myself) who are about to make the transition from XP to Win 10(when i buy my PC this summer,only a few months away) you would think, that MS would be somewhat charitable and extend the protection to non custom support folks,no? I know MS isn't in the business of charity,but these hackers are after all of us. Maybe i'm being naive but after all i will be spending more money with MS shortly.I just thought it might be a good-will gesture on their part to make XP hangers-on a part of this protection.

MS offers custom support for XP users for a price, it's not cheap and aimed at business users that can't migrate to newer OS's due to older proprietary software they use. It's called custom because the patches are written and tested only for the customers equipment/software environment and not tested for use on general use PC's with any combination of software installed.
It would be far cheaper for you to buy a new PC with Win 10 then to pay for custom support.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:03 AM   #10
Registered Member

Good advice.I never open up suspicious emails or attachments.Like someone mentioned in this thread,some folks went to facebook and got some patch through a link and they are living to regret it.Look before your leap is the catchword i guess. Win XP was like a lover to me,never talked back,was faithful.Very few problems in the years i had it,fewer headaches...and alas there is now the time that we separate from each other! It is a sad parting.
I'm not alone in these sentiments that Win XP was probably MS's best OS,bar none.I just hate to see it go,like the family dog who has gotten too old.
Oh well,time to move on
Thx guys for all your advice as usual.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:24 AM   #11
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

MS has now issued patches.
For XP X86 SP3 https://www.catalog.update.microsoft....0-7bd0ad7ca09a

For XP X64 SP2 Microsoft Update Catalog

Old 05-15-2017, 02:35 PM   #12
Registered Member

Security Update for Windows XP SP3 (KB4012598) i tried downloading this and i got message that KB 401 2598 Set Up Error and that the version of Windows i have installed does not match the update i am trying to install. Can you help?
The file i was downloading shows WinXP-KB4012598X... edded-Custom-ENU.exe
666KB

Ok Corday, just to let you know that i went to MS Update Catalog and downloaded the security update KB4012598 for WinXP SP3 for XPe(KB4012598) and it seemed to have properly installed it. Can i now assume that i have the patch?
Old 05-15-2017, 02:42 PM   #13
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

Do you definitely have Service Pack 3?

Old 05-15-2017, 02:53 PM   #14
Registered Member

I just checked and i have installed MS.Net Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 and MS Net 3.5 SP1 is this what you are referring to? Read my last reply as i was editing when you replied to my first one.

OK here's what i have installed MS.NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
MS.NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2
MS>NET Framework 3.5 SP1
MS.NET Framework 4 Client Profile
MS>NET Framework 4 Extended
Old 05-15-2017, 03:09 PM   #15
Registered Member

Corday, The KB's you normally see installed do not show up on mine when i go into my Control Panel and ADD&Remove. I see them on my laptop,but that is running Win 7Pro and all the KB's you can see and whether they were successfully installed,but not on the Lenovo running WinXP? So how would i determine that the patch KB4012598 was in fact successfully installed if i can't see it?? I'm puzzled. Furthermore, when i downloaded the security update it kepted prompting me that all was going well so that is why i am asking.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:38 PM   #16
Registered Member

Corday, OK i did manage to check my MS Updates,the last one i have https://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/ was in August 2016 KB 890830 and it was for a Malicious Software Removal Tool and that is last one listed,none since then.It is probably because MS ended support for WinXP and i really haven't had any updates etc... but you would think that the patch KB 4012598 would show,no? Is there any way of determining if i successfully installed this patch if that KB doesn't show up in my MS Software Updates?
Old 05-15-2017, 04:42 PM   #17
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

I'm not sure why you brought up net framework. I need to know what XP you have. My Computer>Properties. By coincidence, a security expert on the evening news an hour ago said XP owners should throw away their computers.

The update was only made available 3/14/17.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:51 PM   #18
Registered Member

WinXP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processsor 3200+
2.20GHz, 1.93 GB of RAM
Old 05-15-2017, 09:25 PM   #19
Registered Member

Ok it appears that i did install the WinXP patch for KB4012598 properly as i went to my MS Updates,clicked on "Show Updates" and sure enough right at bottom was the KB4012589 Security ,in fact it is my last update,so far so good.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:32 AM   #20
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

So now it's really SOLVED.

Closed Thread