Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Win XP boots to black screen, only mouse cursor active. (Need help with registry?)

This is a discussion on Win XP boots to black screen, only mouse cursor active. (Need help with registry?) within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm running a AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 1500 RAM Win XP SP 3 So yesterday my computer suddenly started getting

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 06:56 AM   #1

I'm running a
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
1500 RAM
Win XP SP 3

So yesterday my computer suddenly started getting slow, so I rebooted. When the machine boots, it's all fine, but just after the Windows loading screen, the screen goes black, and the only thing that's active is the mouse cursos which I can move. But I can't right click or anything etc.

I can't bring up the Task Manager. I try loading in safe mode but it's still all black, with the expection that the text "Safe mode" is written around the black screen.

So what I did was I got a Ultimate Boot CD and loaded from it. I managed to roll back my windows registry to 2003 (manufactor fresh), and now windows actually loaded and I didn't get the black screen anymore, however obviously it was all a complete mess having a registry from so long ago, so I backup rolled it back to the current again, and the black screen returned.

With that logic, shouldn't it be possible to do some tweaks to the registry to solve this issue?

I'm a complete beginner and I barely even know the function of the registry. Everything i've tried so far i've just managed to google and follow step by step instructions, so bare with me. But judging from the tools in the Ultimate Boot CD, I can access the windows registry.

So basically, where do I take it from here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
Visiting Expert
Microsoft Support Team

@ ichito: WELCOME TO Tech Support Forums
Please start your own (new) thread and provide the details there. It becomes too complicated to help two people in the one thread. Someone will assist you there.

@ Skurten:
You said: "Everything i've tried so far i've just managed to google and follow step by step instructions"
You have done very well, but why did you revert the registry back to 2003? Why did you not revert to the last (most recent) restore point? I am guessing that is what you want/need to do now.

It may help if you provide details of exactly what you did to "roll back my windows registry to 2003". That will provide a bit of background info.

Do you know where to find the system restore points and their contained registry backups?
Can you then "roll back" or do an "off-line system restore" using the UBCD?

Please clarify/confirm that you are using UBCD (Current release: 4.1.1) and not UBCD4Win (Ultimate Boot CD for Windows Version 3.50 Released: 4/21/09) ... ? Please provide details of exactly what you are using.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:03 PM   #3
Troubled

You can access System Restore from the Recovery Console. https://forums.cclonline.com/showthread.php?t=1183
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2009, 04:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustrAlien View Post
@ ichito: WELCOME TO Tech Support Forums
Please start your own (new) thread and provide the details there. It becomes too complicated to help two people in the one thread. Someone will assist you there.

@ Skurten:
You said: "Everything i've tried so far i've just managed to google and follow step by step instructions"
You have done very well, but why did you revert the registry back to 2003? Why did you not revert to the last (most recent) restore point? I am guessing that is what you want/need to do now.

It may help if you provide details of exactly what you did to "roll back my windows registry to 2003". That will provide a bit of background info.

Do you know where to find the system restore points and their contained registry backups?
Can you then "roll back" or do an "off-line system restore" using the UBCD?

Please clarify/confirm that you are using UBCD (Current release: 4.1.1) and not UBCD4Win (Ultimate Boot CD for Windows Version 3.50 Released: 4/21/09) ... ? Please provide details of exactly what you are using.
Oh, i'm sorry. Yes, it was using UBC4WIN and NOT UBCD (I have both!)! There is a tool there that can revert back registry, and the only option that was available was for 2003 (I don't know why). The same program offers to do a rollback to the current registry you have.
There are obviously a bunch of other tools included in UBC4WIN, but since I have no idea what they do i'm not daring quite yet to touch them.

Thanks for the respons.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:58 AM   #5
Visiting Expert
Microsoft Support Team

The following article forms the basis on which an off-line system restore can be performed
Article ID: 307545 ...
How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting
https://support.microsoft.com/default...307545&sd=tech
-------------------------------

Booting to the UBCD4Win CD, it is very easy to browse, rename files and copy/paste files: That is all there is to it! There is NO need to use any of the tools incorporated into the CD at all.

Rename the 5 relevant files in the config directory (and leave as a backup copy)
Find the system restore point that you want to use within the System Volume Information directory on C: drive.
(Use the highest or second-highest RP number).
Copy/paste the 5 relevant files into the config directory and rename them.

Start your system normally, and you should be right to go.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:24 PM   #6

My Case refent to Win XP boots to black screen, only mouse cursor active.

I took my hardrive and I scanned for virus with AVG Internet Security 9.0, there was only one file infected, the virus name was delf.MFT or something like that.

After I remove the virus I put the HD back in the afected PC and the magic happen, the computer boot-up normaly

So, I recommend to scan your hardrive for virus before anything else.

Good Luck!
Closed Thread