User Tag List

win xp

This is a discussion on win xp within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. 1000 thanx for the reply on the bios. did however sort it out myself beforehand. harddrive not properly connected now

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 05:25 AM   #1
Registered Member

1000 thanx for the reply on the bios. did however sort it out myself beforehand. harddrive not properly connected
now stuck with another problem
windows starts loading for a few seconds then a blue screen with white lettering flashes on the screen fast enough not to be able to read anything
pc switches back to options for POST or SETUP options and then switches over to a screen where one is prompted to select an option for windows to start
ex. start windows normally
last known configuration
safe mode etc
but none of these options seem to work
even if i switch off the pc, insert windows origional copy in the player and start up the machine to re-install windows all of the above happens over and over again
what solutions are available?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2016, 12:07 PM   #2
Visiting Expert
Microsoft Support Team

My System

Did the new problem arise immediately after you connected the hard drive properly or did it happen later on? If it happened immediately, then I would recommend disconnecting the hard drive and see what happens when you turn it on. It shouldn't blue screen on you with the hard drive disconnected. If it does, you've ruled out your hard drive. If it doesn't blue screen after disconnecting the hard drive, try putting a Windows OS CD in your drive, reboot, and see if it will start up with that disk.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:17 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

To add to what Michael is saying. If the computer will boot into the Bios, and/or from the XP CD with the HDD disconnected, then it is an issue with the HDD. If it BSOD's with the HDD disconnected, then there is an issue with the RAM. Remove all but one stick of RAM. If it will POST and not BSOD, then on another computer, download Memtest and burn it to CD with IMGBurn both in my signature. Or you can use their Auto Installer for USB Key. Boot off of the newly created media and run the tests on each stick of RAM Separately. If you get any errors in the lower pane (Red) then that stick is bad and needs to be replaced.