Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

WiFi not working

This is a discussion on WiFi not working within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Just got a Dell Mini 1010, Win. XP at a flea market, looks great and everything is working, except the

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 03:43 PM   #1
Registered Member

Just got a Dell Mini 1010, Win. XP at a flea market, looks great and everything is working, except the WiFi, I set up my password and it showed all was well, shows a strong signal, but when I try to get a program, like Google, it says no connection, I know there is a Wi-Fi switch on it but cannot find it, tried hitting F2 after I found out this was supposed to set the WI-Fi, still no signal, even when it says strong signal. Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2016, 03:47 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

Lets take a peek at your network environment:

Please Download and run this Xirrus WiFi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here. For Vista and Windows 7, 8 you can use the Windows Snipping Tool

Old 12-31-2016, 04:49 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rich View Post
Lets take a peek at your network environment:

Please Download and run this Xirrus WiFi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here. For Vista and Windows 7, 8 you can use the Windows Snipping Tool
Thanks for the reply O.R. I can't download the program, I can't get to the internet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2016, 06:01 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

On an internet computer, Follow the instructions that Old Rich suggested, and download the WiFi inspector and save it to a USB flash drive and install it on the troubled computer. Or, if you have an Ethernet cable, you can plug that into your computer and router for a wired internet connection.
A screenshot of WiFi inspector will help us see where the problem lies.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:52 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
On an internet computer, Follow the instructions that Old Rich suggested, and download the WiFi inspector and save it to a USB flash drive and install it on the troubled computer. Or, if you have an Ethernet cable, you can plug that into your computer and router for a wired internet connection.
A screenshot of WiFi inspector will help us see where the problem lies.
Thanks, I have an ethernet, never thought of it, good idea, I'll give it a go. Tried the flash drive, for some reason(maybe just dumbness), could not make it work.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:17 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Download your wireless drivers from your computer manufacturer support/download drivers site, directly to the troubled computer via Ethernet LAN cable
Old 01-01-2017, 06:16 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Download your wireless drivers from your computer manufacturer support/download drivers site, directly to the troubled computer via Ethernet LAN cable
Thanks for the reply Spunk, will do it sounds good.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:25 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by durkinjt View Post
Thanks for the reply Spunk, will do it sounds good.
No Good, Crazy, device manager shows no problems, shows a signal, yet no WiFi, even with the Ethernet??
Old 01-02-2017, 04:10 AM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
no WiFi, even with the Ethernet??
If you are connecting to the internet via an Ethernet cable, you would not use Wireless any longer, just connect to the internet thru the cable. Please click this link https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...es-573730.html and post the requested information in your next post. Also, as previously requested, Download and Install WiFi inspector and post a screenshot of it in your next post.
If you still want to connect Wirelessly, Whether there is a yellow flag in Device Manager or not, update your Wireless Driver from Dell
Support for Inspiron Mini 10 1010 | Dell US
Old 01-02-2017, 07:42 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
If you are connecting to the internet via an Ethernet cable, you would not use Wireless any longer, just connect to the internet thru the cable. Please click this link https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...es-573730.html and post the requested information in your next post. Also, as previously requested, Download and Install WiFi inspector and post a screenshot of it in your next post.
If you still want to connect Wirelessly, Whether there is a yellow flag in Device Manager or not, update your Wireless Driver from Dell
Support for Inspiron Mini 10 1010 | Dell US
Thanks Spunk.It will not work even with the Ethernet hook up. Here is the latest:
l Went on control panel for network connections, this is what I found. Under "Lan or High speed Connections. Connected" Local Area Connection Connected, Wireless Network Connection. Connected then under "Internet Gateway" Disabled. clicked on enable, got "connection failed".
Old 01-02-2017, 07:55 AM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

Lets take a deeper look at your network environment:

First:

Power Cycle everything . . Turn off the Modem, router and all pc's . . turn on the Modem and wait a few minutes for the lights to stabilize . . then turn on the router, then one pc at a time. See if you connect to the internet.

Then:

Remove all the stored wireless network profiles and search for the network again.

How to Remove Stored Wireless Network Profiles for XP, Vista, and Windows 7 ( This is for Windows 7 but the steps are virtually the same for 8 and 10

Then: check your browser's settings, remove any proxy settings if found, here's how

Then:

with the pc connected to the router, Click on Start . . Run . . type CMD

At the > prompt type or copy and paste the following command:

ipconfig/all > 0 & notepad 0

and press enter.

Come back here and Paste the results in a message.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB drive, or a CD-R disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

then please Download and run this Xirrus WiFi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:19 AM   #12
Registered Member

Rich, thanks for all your time, all this isn't worth it, only paid $40 for it, just going to give it back. Thanks again for spending the time.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:26 AM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

It just takes a few minutes . .

Closed Thread