Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Whats the command line command to stop a process?

This is a discussion on Whats the command line command to stop a process? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi everyone, what is the commmand for command prompt to stop a process? What i would like to do is

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 07:29 PM   #1

Hi everyone, what is the commmand for command prompt to stop a process? What i would like to do is make a shortcut to stop the KBD.exe process. The reason for that is when someone in my family puts a disk in, plays a game, and sometimes when they take the disk out it complains about there being no disk in the drive. The only way to shut it up is to end the process in the task manager and click cancel on the window. This way is a little to complicated for some of the memebers of my family and i would like to be able to just create a shortcut for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2005, 07:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by djw2009913
Hi everyone, what is the commmand for command prompt to stop a process? What i would like to do is make a shortcut to stop the KBD.exe process. The reason for that is when someone in my family puts a disk in, plays a game, and sometimes when they take the disk out it complains about there being no disk in the drive. The only way to shut it up is to end the process in the task manager and click cancel on the window. This way is a little to complicated for some of the memebers of my family and i would like to be able to just create a shortcut for it.
Click on Start, then run
type in cmd to get to command prompt
type in taskkill /f kbd.exe

The forward slash /f forces it to kill the process.
Here is link for some examples

https://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_tips446.html
Old 10-01-2005, 08:44 PM   #3

Thanks, but it didnt work, it might be for an older version of windows.

EDIT: I got it, i had to download a kill command from microsoft and now i can execute the command.
Closed Thread