Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Weird problem with boot filename not being found

This is a discussion on Weird problem with boot filename not being found within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've got a weird situation on my hands, and I'll try to keep it brief and relevant. Trying to help

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 04:28 PM   #1

I've got a weird situation on my hands, and I'll try to keep it brief and relevant. Trying to help a friend format his computer and it is a Emachine t3516, which doesn't come with the full version of xp, it only allows you to "recover the computer back to its factory condition."

I had never formatted a computer like this and ended up screwing it up. So i had to find another copy of windows xp. The corrupted recovery partition was on the C partition and the new partition I created for the fresh Windows XP install was E. I got Windows XP up and running on E and decided I would try to format the corrupted recovery partition. Now when I try to start the computer it gives me a PXE-E53 boot filename not found error.

I have tried the bootcfg rebuild suggestion mentioned in a previous post and that failed. Also, the computer does not have a floppy drive in the event that i wanted to use a boot floppy disk. What can I do to fix this mess?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
Troubled

Boot off of the XP CD. Delete both partitions and create one large partition. Format the partition NTFS, Install Windows on the newly created partition. Or after formatting the partition boot off of the Recovery CD and install on the newly formatted partition which will have all the drivers you need for that machine.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:35 PM   #3

Ok, I'll try that and post my results. But I'm pretty sure the recovery disc won't work at this point though because it has to create a recovery partition from the factory xp installation, which is gone. I'll try the first option you mentioned.

Was this problem created because I didn't format the corrupted recovery partition first?

Thanks for the quick reply!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2009, 05:03 PM   #4
Troubled

The recovery partition should have been a D: drive. C: is the operating system. If the D: Partition gets corrupted then it won't work.If you had formatted the C: drive and ran the Recovery Disk, it probably would have worked. The Restore disc may just reinstall Windows to Factory Settings after you have deleted all the partitions If not, use the XP CD to install. You will need to download any drivers afterward.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:13 PM   #5

So I got everything setup using the XP disc and it works except that I can't get the audio and video drivers provided on emachines website to work. Is there a way to get them working?
Old 09-30-2009, 07:06 PM   #6

bump.....
Old 10-02-2009, 03:42 PM   #7
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Do you have the correct drivers? What exact problem are you having? (ie: installation issue, error code, etc.)

Old 10-02-2009, 04:40 PM   #8
Troubled

What is the make and model of yoru Emachine? Download the drivers for Emachines Here
Closed Thread