Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

weird internet problem

This is a discussion on weird internet problem within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a really weird situation here. My work laptop just stopped working on other wireless or LAN networks other

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 03:24 PM   #1

I have a really weird situation here. My work laptop just stopped working on other wireless or LAN networks other then my work network. And this just started happening before i could use it anywhere. it connects to the network ip is there but it won't open up any site.

so one work around i found for this problem is to restore my computer on a back date and it works but as soon as i take back to work and my laptop gets onto the work network it won't work when i bring it back home, this is driving me nuts i tried disabling anti virus and uninstalling programs that i thought might be blocking the internet but to no avail . Has anyone ever had this kind of problem?? is there a solution ofr this out there??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
Troubled

It sounds like you have a static IP address that when you not in the office, your computer can't find the server. Try changing it to DHCP (assign an IP address automatically)
Old 06-02-2009, 03:38 PM   #3

i double checked ip is set to be obtained automaticaly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2009, 04:32 PM   #4
Troubled

Ok then go to Start/Run and type CMD in the command prompt type in ipconfig /flushdns hit enter then ipconfig /release hit enter then ipconfig /renew.hit enter
Old 06-02-2009, 05:59 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Supply the following information please.

OS running on all affected systems
Make\models of all equipment (routers, network cards, modems).
Wired or wireless?
What wireless encryption is in use?
Browsers being used (Firefox, IE, Safari, Opera,...)
What security software is installed?

Open up a command prompt (Start > run > cmd)
Type the following bolded commands and post the results for each affected machine.

ipconfig /all
ping www.google.com
ping 74.125.53.99

Note: To post results of commands, alternate click on the top of the command prompt > edit > select all >
alternate click on the top of the command prompt > edit > copy > paste in a message here. If you are on
a computer that can't connect to the internet then paste the contents in a text document and save it to a
portable media like a flash drive, then use an internet capable machine to post the contents.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:04 PM   #6

After running ipconfig /all

i figured out part of the problem and that is the primary dns sufix and
dns sufix search list, my computer is part of a domain and internet won't work on any other network until i un-joined it from the domain and made it a work group, can any one tell me the best way to do it so that i don't have to make it a work group every time i am off site or not in the office
Closed Thread