Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Weird Computer Problems (BSOD, Reboot, Freezes at Login, etc.)

This is a discussion on Weird Computer Problems (BSOD, Reboot, Freezes at Login, etc.) within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So since last year, my computer has random BSOD or Reboots. Since it happens every few months, I just dealt

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 02:29 AM   #1
Registered Member

So since last year, my computer has random BSOD or Reboots. Since it happens every few months, I just dealt with it. I dealt with the fact that I naturally had a old, crap computer. I assumed there was no viruses because my AV didn't pick up anything. Also used Malwarebytes or something with a similar name, since I can't remember off the top of my head.

By the way, a few weeks ago I downloaded XPThemes just to customize my desktop.
I followed these methods. How To Install Ux Theme Multi Patcher - Customize.org (maybe this could shed some light?)

Then the other day, I google imaged a picture of Brock because I wanted to photoshop a "wanted list". One of the sites I went to, which ironically I used last time because it's the same picture gave me a trojan. According to AVG. I looked it up and people described an identical problem with me, which was they googled it. My AVG detected and I assumed it removed it, so I moved on with my life.

I also installed a recent Java update to my computer. That's when I noticed things were starting to get suspicious. My computer were starting to show signs of malfunction. When I use Google Chrome, I often get crashed from using sites like GameFAQs, Youtube and Facebook. Then my computer would reboot. I would also often get rebooted every 3 minutes, until I stopped the "restart on system failure message". I started to get BSOD. Then I took a break from the computer and went on my business. I then logged on again, then I immediately changed my desktop back to normal Windows themes and then finally got to get some time on the computer. At least more than 3 minutes. So I tried moving my files, then I stopped, then I got comfortable and thought maybe I fixed it and went on to my business of using the computer normally. I also decided to Quick Scan my PC with the Malwarebytes program and also did a Hijackthis scan and as it finished...

Computer went back to blue screen "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" or something similar was the code. So I restarted it. Cooked some dinner, then went to the log in screen. So when I'm at this point my mouse and keyboard work. Then I clicked on my admin user. Mouse is still fine. But when I enter a single keystroke, my keyboard and mouse somehow freeze. The screen itself didn't seem like it was freezing, because the "|" in the Text Box where it blinks for you to enter a password is still moving, so I'd assume Windows itself is not freezing. So right now that's my status. I really don't know what to do. Safe Mode is not working as it just gives me some scrolling filenames.

I'm on my laptop right now, so I'm able to type this. But I don't want to waste money on professional computer service, unless I have too. I'm a college student on a budget and I'm fresh off paying my fines and books. Anyway, hope I can get some help and insight on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2011, 02:36 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

When booting to Safe Mode, you will get scrolling file names, and eventually it will load Safe Mode, it may take up to 5 minutes.
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is a BSOD associated with a bad driver. Usually a Video/Display driver or Ethernet Network Adapter. But in your case you are probably infected. After updating your drivers, Head over to the Security Section of this Forum and post there for more help.

NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help
Old 02-22-2011, 03:20 AM   #3
Registered Member

Infected? What do you mean? With a virus/trojan/malware? You sure it's not some hardware, registry issue?

EDIT
: I guess I will be patient with Safe Mode next time. Tomorrow, I'll go on Safe Mode and then move my files such as pictures, videos, etc. that I don't want to lose. Is that a good idea? or since I'm infected as you say. Should I leave it?
Closed Thread