Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Volume Control Icon missing from tray

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  g.chandan 
#1 ·
Ok so this happened before I followed Microsoft's steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive. Press and hold down the SHIFT key as you insert the CD-ROM to prevent it from starting automatically.
2. Click Start, and then click Run.
3. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
4. Type the following lines at the command prompt, pressing ENTER after each line, where CD-ROM drive is the drive letter of the computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD-ROM, and system_root is the path and folder name where the Windows system files are located (generally C:\Windows):
CD-ROM drive:
cd i386
expand sndvol32.ex_ system_root\system32\sndvol32.exe

Note that there is a space between "ex_" and "system_root" in this command.

For example, if your computer's CD-ROM drive is drive E, and the folder that contains the Windows system files is C:\Windows, type the following lines at the command prompt (pressing ENTER after each line):
e:
cd i386
expand sndvol32.ex_ c:\windows\system32\sndvol32.exe
5. Type exit to quit the command prompt.
6. Verify that you can start Volume Control and that the Volume icon is displayed in the notification area (if you selected this option).
Problem is when I enter the required text I get that:

No Destination specified for: expand sndvol32.ex_ system_root\system32\sndvol32.exe
I explored the recovery disk that I have and I don't see this file. What should I do? :4-dontkno

#6 ·
I've just noticed that your quote says -

"No Destination specified for: expand sndvol32.ex_ system_root\system32\sndvol32.exe "

If I'm taking this quote literally then you haven't replace (system_root) with C: Your command line should read -

"expand sndvol32.ex_ C:\system32\sndvol32.exe "

If this still doesn't work, put your CD in the drive (holding shift so that it doesn't run) click 'start' -> 'search' -> 'All Files and Folders' -> type 'I386' -> Select your CD drive from the 'Look in' drop down menu and click search.

This will make sure you have this folder on your CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.