Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Video Problem on ex. Monitor

This is a discussion on Video Problem on ex. Monitor within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Micro Pro laptop, Sis 650 video card , with a VGA connection in the back where I

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 07:29 PM   #1

Confused

I have a Micro Pro laptop, Sis 650 video card, with a VGA connection in the back where I have connected an external lcd monitor. Everything displays just fine on the external monitor except movies. When any media player is open and is playing a movie, there is just a blank screen in the player on the ex monitor.

I know that someone posted a similar question like this in 02 but I'm not sure that it was answered? (https://forum.digital-digest.com/arch...p/t-14176.html)

I read somewhere else on the net that it may be because of the level that the movie was playing on because for 650's movie playback is on the default monitor?

Anyways, I'm stuck and can't find any solutions. If anyone could help me I would be the happiest man alive... serioulsy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2007, 09:26 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Hi Rumpelstiltskin and welcome to TSF !

Try these possible solutions :

I suppose you're using windows media player. In WMP go to tools => options => performances and set the video acceleration to none. See if the video appears on the other monitor now. If that's not enough you can also set the hardware acceleration to none in the display properties => settings => advanced => troubleshoot tab.

In the display properties, settings tab, try to play with the "extend my windows desktop onto this monitor" and "use this device as the primary monitor" settings when selecting the monitor #2. See if you can set the monitor #2 (the external monitor) as primary monitor. Depending on your video drivers if you click advanced in the settings tab you may find another tab whith some multi displays or multi monitors settings. You may be able to change which screen is your primary display and which one is the secondary display there as well. Here are some links with more info :
https://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307873
https://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u.../monitors.mspx

Try playing the video with another video player, like vlc or media player classic and move the window manually onto the other monitor via the edge of the screen when the desktop is extended to both monitors.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:56 PM   #3

Thanks, when I adjusted the accel it fixed the problem!

Is there the same sort of adjustment for vlc? sometimes I play those bins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2007, 10:05 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

That was my first guess.

There's a similar option in vlc but since I have a french version of vlc there may be some errors in the translation, please bear with it. Go to settings => preferences => video. Should be some checkbox named overlay video output or something like that. That should be it. If that doesn't work tick the little checkbox in the bottom right named advanced settings and navigate through the different options there. You don't have to fear doing some mistake since normally there's a "reset all" button and a shortcut in the start menu group to restore the default settings.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:12 PM   #5

I did what you told me in VLC and still no video got any other ideas? Also, DVD's dont play in WMP even after the adjustment?

Is there some program that I can download that adjusts to the correct video settings for my vid card? or at least a vid player that would be better for me? Why do they make this so hard for me?, all I want is movies.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:22 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

I'm not using an external monitor here so can't really try it out. Search for other such settings in vlc. Does it do the same with media player classic ?

DVD's should play fine in Windows Media Player, as should .bin files if you drag and drop them there I believe (you'll have to answer some message like "yes I want you to try reading those files" if I recall well).

Do you have the Klite codec pack ? Go for the standard version as you'll want ffdshow and it also has media player classic and see if that helps. Better to remove any third party codec pack you may have installed before you install this one. Klite made sure there would be no compatibility issues between the different codecs and is basically the only codec pack you should ever need.
Closed Thread