Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

video driver/display adaptor help

This is a discussion on video driver/display adaptor help within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. i recently had a problem and was forced to buy a new hard drive because the old one was corrupt.

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 12:04 PM   #1

i recently had a problem and was forced to buy a new hard drive because the old one was corrupt. so i called dell to ask them with help in reinstalling drivers onto my dell dimension 4550. i had no problems with the drivers until i got to the graphics driver. i am a gamer so i updated my video card to a radeon 9700 pro. and on the dell resource cd which contains the drivers i do not believe that those drivers will work for my video card. i was on the phone with dell going threw procedure and procedure...and i came to realize that they are quite worthless in helping me with my problem. i tried to download new drivers or the comp but a message that says "Setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to set up your display adaptor with a standord VGA driver before running setup." i dont know what to do and im lost...please someone help me...thanks for your time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2004, 12:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Setup was unable to complete installation
You may be recieving that message because of the drivers you now currently have installed. I would try the system default drivers first and then go online and update. I ran into a similar problem recently.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:20 PM   #3

i do not think i cant just simply go to system defaults because the hardware i have on my computer is not the defualt hardware....and how do i go abouts doing default drivers...because im pretty sure with a new harddrive i need to install the drivers manually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overclocked Doc
You may be recieving that message because of the drivers you now currently have installed. I would try the system default drivers first and then go online and update. I ran into a similar problem recently.
I cannot use the default drivers because I enstalled the Radeion 9700 PRo in place of the junky Dell vga. I had to replace my hard drive because it failed and now I'm stuck without internet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2004, 04:24 PM   #4

Sorry, but I think you've misunderstood me. By "default drivers" I actually meant the XP drivers. Uninstall the card in "devices" and allow XP to install a set of drivers (not drivers from the ATI disk) first then "update" them. I ran into a similar problem when trying to install different drivers on my card. I could find the updated drivers but could not install them (after recieving an error similar to yours). I had "Nividia Omega" drivers installed. I uninstalled them and allowed XP to install a "default" set. After that I was able to download and install the new ones.

Perhaps the only hang up here is that by the sounds of it you only have a dell disk and not an actual XP disk.
Old 11-14-2004, 05:33 PM   #5

I will give that a try and give you some feedback. This is a strange one.
Closed Thread