Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

very slow change user

This is a discussion on very slow change user within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a recent problem where when the computer comes back from automatic standby or change of user it sticks

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 08:21 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have a recent problem where when the computer comes back from automatic standby or change of user it sticks on a blank blue screen for about 5 minutes, then it goes to the user accounts and sticks there for about 5 minutes before I can log on or turn off the computer.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Try using Fast User Switching: Windows XP: Turn On Fast User Switching

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks Corday, I have it already set on Fast User Switching
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

OK, back to the Blue Screen for five minutes. Use your Event Viewer to see if any error #s are shown. Post back.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:44 AM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks Corday, I have it already set on Fast User Switching, I have tried taking it off, restarting and putting it back on again, restarting but still the same problem.

It seems that when logging off and shutting down it encounters a big delay. the computer still functions normally when it is being used.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:00 AM   #6
Registered Member

I have checked what come up when i log off and log on again and I get from the system menu a 7036 with no user account and a 7035 with my user account.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #7
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

More info needed. By the Event Viewer I meant Open Event Viewer. There might be an error code or some other indication as to what's wrong.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:26 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Hi

You can also check your hard drive for any errors. To do this go to Start -> Run -> type chkdsk c: /r -> click Ok . When asked if you want to force a dismount say No. When asked to schedule the check at the next startup say Yes. Restart your PC to allow chkdsk to run.

Do you have an antivirus program? Is it updated?

How much memory does the PC have?
How much free disk space do you have?
Has it always been slow or is did this just start to happen?
Closed Thread