Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Using Single Xp OS disc on multiple machines

This is a discussion on Using Single Xp OS disc on multiple machines within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, i'm new here, already tried to search the site for help but can't find what i'm looking for. I

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 05:48 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, i'm new here, already tried to search the site for help but can't find what i'm looking for. I have 3 computers that I have already reinstalled Xp on them. Problem is they wont validate because the disc that I used came with another computer and i'm using the product key off the computers that I was reinstalling XP on, and when I go to validate them the product keys obviously dont work because they are suppose to be used with the OS that they came with. I did not know this until it was to late. So my question is, is there a xp disc, software that I can use to put on my computers and then use the product keys that are on the case to validate. I also just bought a win7 full version, both 32 and 64 bit disc that I have put on my laptop. So could I use the Win7 disc and just buy the product keys if the the xp option doesn't work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2010, 02:58 AM   #2
Registered Member

Welcome here.

I couldnt get you clear in your previous post.

You installed XP with the same key to 3 machines and when you went to validate, it isnt validating.You would buy a new win XP but still not willing to reinstall the XP. you are looking for a software so that you could just update the key on the already installed xp rather than installing all over again and validate. If this is what you want, give a reply, will let you know the solution.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:21 AM   #3
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

you can only install a copy of windows on a single computer

to install it on a second computer is illegal

you will have to buy a copy for each computer

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
Registered Member

Hey, sorry for the confusion. I have 3 computers, all of which still have the original product key on them( the sticker on the side ) I have reinstalled xp on all machines using a xp disc that came with another computer, it did not come with the three computers of which I am talking about. When I go to validate them, I use the product key off the machine of which I am trying to validate, but it doesnt work. I talked to a friend and he said that the xpdisc that I am using will only work with the product key that came with it, he said it was "keyed into the OS already", something like that. So in other words you can only use the product key that was giving with that particular disc. I am looking for something which will allow me to update the key with the xp software that i am using. My friend said that there was some " general oem xp software" that you could use and all you would have to do is use the product key on your computer and it would validate, but he hasn't been able to confirm that. So all you would have to have is legal product key that wasn't in use and it would work, something like that I guess. Its not a big deal to have to reinstall the xp disc again if something would work. thanx for the help. I guess my thing is I dont want to have to buy a new product key or buy the xp software again if I have already done it.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
Registered Member

Ya sure, You dont need to buy. And in most cases a single disc will work if you have three keys unless the disc that you used to install in an OEM disc. Because in those cases key most probably is embeded with it. So some other Discs if you are going to validate with original keys.

You said that you have the keys by the side of it. So your keys might be that of an OEM disc. So get hold of a OEM disc and install.

Also I am not sure the way they validate the keys. What if you have already validated and reformat, validate again. In my case I got mine already validated while buying. I don't know how they do it there.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:53 PM   #6
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

What brand is the installation disc you are using . . Is it an OEM vrsion? . . Does it match the sticker version ( Home, Pro or MCE)?

Old 05-06-2010, 01:58 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyarok View Post
Ya sure, You dont need to buy. And in most cases a single disc will work if you have three keys unless the disc that you used to install in an OEM disc. Because in those cases key most probably is embeded with it. So some other Discs if you are going to validate with original keys.
Sorry for the silly English. I was at half sleep as it was 3 in the morning. What I meant was

In most cases a single disc will work if you have three keys unless the disc that you used to install the OS is an OEM disc. Because in those cases the keys will most probably be embedded with it. So just try some other Discs if you are going to validate with original keys.

Did you install using an OEM disc or a normal one.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:32 PM   #8
Registered Member

The disc that I was using came with a IBM laptop, I was trying to use it on a dell laptop, an hp desktop, and a dell desktop. So what your saying is I will have to get a HP xp OS disc for the hp desktop, and get a dell xp OS disc for the laptop and desktop. They all have XP home edition product key stickers, the disc that I was using was a xp home edition, but it came with a IBM laptop. In your question about whether I was using a OEM disc or a normal one, in what way do you meen normal andyarok? Also is there a way I can get ahold of one if my other options don't work, what would be a better choice, i'm all ears. I can get ahold of a dell xp OS disc, but it won't be till later next week. I'm not in a hurry or anything, so if using the OEM disc is a better idea, I can wait. thanx for the help, I really appreciate it!!
Old 05-06-2010, 08:42 PM   #9
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

The Dell discs are Reinstallation discs . . the IBM, I ma not sure of but is likely a Restoration disc that can only be used on the system it came with.

You should be able to use the Dell OEM disc on all three . . on the Dells, you will not be asked for the Product Key nor will you have to activate it . . with the IBM, use that Key and you will have to activate

Old 05-06-2010, 08:45 PM   #10
Registered Member

Yes. That is exactly what I mean. Use the corresponding OEM discs. Also, what happened to your original disc that you would have got with your PC.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:10 AM   #11
Registered Member

The original disc . . . hmm. Well the hp desktop I bought from a friend and he said he gave me everyhting that came with it, and there was no disc. The dell laptop is the one that i'm gona get the xp OS disc from, its at home, I just have to get a break so I can go and get it, and the dell desktop did not come with a OS disc. I have heard that you can copy some file, or files, off your system, where windows installs the OS on your computer, and you would burn them to a disc, and you would have made a copy of the OS, not sure how to go about doing that. I think its in the System32 folder, not sure
Old 05-07-2010, 07:47 AM   #12
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

If your Dell has the Dell System restore ( not all Dells do ) you can use that and you will not need a install CD

https://support.dell.com/support/topi...t?docid=181316

If not, You can get a reinstallation guide specific to your Dell here

You can request a replacement instalation cd here:

Old 06-18-2010, 01:17 PM   #13
Registered Member

alright I wanted to give yall an update. I reinstalled xp on my dell latop, with the correct os disc from dell, worked great!!! I'm still in the process of trying to find a hp xp media center edition disc. So this brings me to a question, I know you can buy the full version of windows , like win 7, xp, at stores and online, like this. . . <https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...dp/B000JTFVM4>
say if I bought this, would I be able to install this on anycomputer that has a xp media center addition tag on it?? Can I put this on a dell and also a hp, as long as both were media center additions??
Old 06-18-2010, 01:48 PM   #14
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

The link does not work . . you can use a Windows Home Premium upgrade to upgrade XP Home or MCE

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116713

If you want it on two pc's, you will have to buy two discs

Old 06-19-2010, 03:06 AM   #15
Registered Member

sorry about the link, I should have checked it first. I found the same thing on newegg https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116583 what I'm looking for is a disc I can use over and over to reinstall on diff computers, (all these comuters do have their own product key, and they are all xp home edition) I do understand that I will have to install the drivers separatley for the diff brands of comp, i have three dells and one hp.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:57 AM   #16
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

they use oem disks related to the computer they came with

you can get reinstall disks from HP and Dell

Closed Thread