Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Use XP backup cd on new hard drive?

This is a discussion on Use XP backup cd on new hard drive? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. If i had to purchase a new hard drive cause my old one's operating system (windows xp home) decided that

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 02:21 AM   #1

Question

If i had to purchase a new hard drive cause my old one's operating system (windows xp home) decided that it didnt want to work anymore, is there a way that i could use my back-up cd's on the new hard drive? would that work?

I know its the operating system on the old hard drive because i can still access all the files on it when i slave it to a different computer.

Thanks in advance
JMody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2006, 02:47 AM   #2

if you made a backup with norton ghost u can just ghost it back on like an image with a floppy. if you made windows backups you can load the backups on once u installed windows xp.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:04 AM   #3

So i would need to install windows Xp prior to the backup disks being able to work in the HD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2006, 04:00 AM   #4

how did u generate these backup disks ? did you use the windows tool or did you use a 3rd party tool ?
Old 10-27-2006, 04:03 AM   #5

The windows tool the first time i stated the laptop.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:07 AM   #6

k to my knowledge just install winxp and then use the restore utility in windows to load the backups.

I am not 100% sure this will work but im googeling some more.

edit: https://uis.georgetown.edu/software/d...p.restore.html
some info regarding how to restore and as far as i can see u should be able todo it. (just make sure u have all the personal files etc also saved) then restore backup after fresh install.

maybe another techie can chime in if this is doable
Old 10-27-2006, 04:18 AM   #7

Ok, I think i might have confused my original question. I have the old HD that has the bad windows xp on it now acting as a mass storage device. I Dont have a Windows Xp disk. I have a new 120g HD. What im trying to do is use the old back-ups i made to install windows xp on the new HD. I dont care about any files or anything. I can still access them from the old HD via USB.

Sorry for confusion and i hope that helps clerify.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:14 AM   #8

ohhhh. well it might be possible using the restore wizard to restore the backups to the new harddrive. im not sure if that will work

the way id do it is install winxp on the new harddrive and then use the backups to restore it to your personal state from when the backups were made.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:03 PM   #9

:( I dont have an XP disk.
Closed Thread