Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

USB ports won't detect devices

This is a discussion on USB ports won't detect devices within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. When I got up this morning my internet wasn't working. After going through everything it turns out that the wireless

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 01:09 PM   #1
Registered Member

When I got up this morning my internet wasn't working. After going through everything it turns out that the wireless USB dongle I use wasn't being detected properly. I uninstalled it and reinstalled the driver. It still didn't work. I tried it in another port, it still didn't work. I tested another dongle of the same model and that wouldn't work either. I installed a spare dongle of a different model and that wouldn't work either.

I also found that an expansion USB hub that I'd installed earlier also wasn't working (this device is connected to a port at the back). It seems as though any USB device I install comes up as 'Unknown device'. I even thought that, perhaps, the drivers for the USB ports themselves might be at fault, so I tried uninstalling and reinstalling them. Device manager says they're fine.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2008, 01:22 PM   #2

when you plug something into the USB ports, does anything at all come up on the computer? If nothing does, you may have disabled the USB ports in the BIOS
Old 10-19-2008, 01:43 PM   #3
Registered Member

When I plug USB devices in, it goes through the normal stuff of 'New device detected' then it says 'Unknown device'. After that, whenever it's plugged in it says 'USB Device Not Recognised'.

The mouse is the only USB device that works. I forgot to add that in my first post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2008, 02:36 PM   #4
Registered Member

Also, I've tried the mouse in other ports and it works.

The version of Windows is XP sp2.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:54 PM   #5

Removing and reinstalling the USB devices may be necessary, but I'd recommend following this procedure to ensure it is done thoroughly: Let's go for the "complete" USB driver renewal and see if that helps.
Please print this article for Reference

https://forums.techguy.org/3435808-post2.html

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
-------------------------- cut after this line --------------------------------
REGEDIT4
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]
"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
-------------------------- cut before this line --------------------------------
Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.
Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.
When this is done, reboot TWICE.
Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:28 PM   #6

Hi.

I'm having a similar issue with my USB Stick, it is all of a sudden not being recognised when I plug into the machine (HP IQ515UK) despite being able to use it in the past.

I foolishly left it in the machine without plugging it out and now I get the "Code 10" message on any machine when I try to use it.

There is a sound to recognise a USB device is present but it won't run.

Please help
Old 04-15-2009, 04:36 PM   #7

Also to mention that when I try to uninstall the USB Controller nodes, the machine freezes.
Closed Thread