Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unmountable boot Volume error tried EVERYTHING! Plz help

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  raadeekaa 
#1 ·
I am praying that someone can help me with this issue. First off I am by no means an unexperianced computer user the fact that I have not yet been able to figure this out myself is driving me nuts.

Here is the problem (sorry if this is long but i wanted to be as detailed as possible so you can see what i have already done).

I am trying to install windows xp pro on a new hard drive i have. It is acctually 3 hard drives i have 3 WD400 40gb drives in a 0 raid arry. When i try to install xp pro I hit F6 to install the drivers for my controller. Which it does just fine. Then after loading some of the windows components it says "starting windows" in the bottom left corner where it was listing the components it was installing. After sitting there for a few moments I get a black screen for a sec then a blue screen of death with the UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME error.

I starting this in one computer and could not get it to work. I was getting this error on all the drives in that computer, even the ones on the basic IDE controller. I made sure i was useing 80pin IDE cables. The only other thing i have read about that I cant try is to run CHKDSK from the recovery console on the windows xp CD. I cant do this beacuse I cant get that far in the setup it crashes to the blue screen before getting to that step.

I have since moved these drives into my 2nd pc. And tired it on my ITE 8212 PCI raid card and on my SOYO Dragon Kt333 ultras onboard raid card (its highpoint i belive) and am getting the same error. I can on this PC however install just fine to the normal IDE controller.

If I install windows xp on a 2nd hd on the basic IDE controller i can format and use the RAID drive just fine. I have created an partition, formated and checked the disk for error and bad sectors form with in windows but it didnt make any differance. I made sure that all the drives in the arry were set to Slave or master and not to CS but still nothing.

In the first PC i even tried changing out the memory as i heard that might have caused it but that didnt work.

I know all the drives work for 2 reasons A beacuse i can use them all fine individually. and B beacuse i can make the 120GB arry and use it in windows from another HD with out trouble.

I have spent every waking hour I have free for the last 2 weeks trying to fix this and searching the net for info but i have found nothing.

If you have any insite as to what might fix this please help me! Im desperate! :)

Thank you

Snow

See less See more
#2 ·
I probably don't know enough about this subject, but I wonder if you don't have a DMA and/or interrupt conflict. And can these be manually configured when the raid drivers are installed?

G
#3 ·
Hi,

See if this solution might help:

When booting up to Windows XP you may get an error that reads: "Unmountable Boot Volume".

This is probably because your boot.ini file is messed up. Here is a possible remedy:

You can boot to the XP cd and when you see the "Welcome to setup" message, press the letter R.
You will then get a DOS prompt.
Then type: chkdsk /p [enter]
When that is done type: fixboot [enter]
Type: Y at the next prompt [enter]
Then type: exit [enter]
The system will now reboot into Windows.

If for some reason that didn't work, you can boot to the recovery console (example above).
Type: "chkdsk /r" [enter]
When done type: exit [enter].
This takes a bit longer, but the system should boot back into Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.