Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

'Unlock computer' fields greyed out (RESOLVED)

This is a discussion on 'Unlock computer' fields greyed out (RESOLVED) within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I left my laptop (Acer 5003 Aspire) alone for a few minutes. It now has a dialog box showing, saying:

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 11:29 AM   #1

I left my laptop (Acer 5003 Aspire) alone for a few minutes. It now has a dialog box showing, saying:

Unlock computer [on the bar at the top of the dialog box]

This computer is in use and has been locked.
Only [COMPUTERNAME]\[Username] or an administrator can unlock this computer.

Username: [Greyed out box with flashing text cursor]
Password: {Greyed out]

[buttons:} _OK_ _Cancel_

The "Cancel" button is greyed out too.

If I try to type in the username box, I get a warning 'ping!', but no text appears. The exceptions to this are if I type one of the function keys, or a capital letter U, I, O, J, K, L, M, or the punctuation & or * or (. In those cases I I do not get a warning 'ping!', but still get no text. I cannot tab to or click in the Password field. The mouse tracks fine. If I click the OK button, I get another dialog box with a big warning X on it, saying:

This computer is in use and has been locked. Only [COMPUTERNAME]\[Username] or an administrator can unlock this computer.

I of course know all the users that are registered on this machine, and their passwords. If this were a desktop, I would pull the power cord out and restart it, in the hope I could log in as normal. Since this is a laptop, and the "Power Off" button is also disabled, and I cannot pull out the power cable, as this will only have it work on the battery. What do you recommend I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2007, 11:36 AM   #2

Okay. So I did the obvious, I suppose.

I removed the power cable and the battery, and teh laptop turned itself off.

Replaced battery and turned it on again, and it powered up with an ordinary login ,, and let me login as me. So far so good, I'll tell you if I get another problem ....
Old 04-24-2008, 03:34 AM   #3

This isn't much of a solution. You'll lose all your work doing it this way. Does anyone know how to solve this problemw ithout powering down the machine? My MD is having a pissey fit here.
Closed Thread